Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Installed a single pipe with foot valve down 4" casing, got…

Customer Question
Installed a single pipe...

Installed a single pipe with foot valve down 4 " casing, got water in pipe but pump will not proime wel 75 ft deep sta rite ms pump

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

Just installed in an old well water at 60 ft well 80 ft deeop come off bottom 5 ft

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Its all new and yes it is already installed

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

When I prime it gets 30 lbs pressure but fluctuates and does not have but a trickle of water come out for a second

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
3/10/2018
Home Improvement Expert: Rick, General Contractor replied 4 months ago
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

With a single drop you have a shallow well pump. Shallow well pumps are only good for 25' max depth. For a well this deep you need a deep well (2 pipe) system which won't fit in a 4" casing. How far below ground is the water level in the well?

80 ft it had a pump and it was working a few years ago
I have a sta rite deep well pump

But you don't have a 2 pipe drop which is required for the deep well pump to work. Is there enough water in the well to raise the drop to 20-25' down ?

ill call when I get back to the well, so you are telling me a single pipe wont work although the pipe is full of water and a new foot valve and when I prime it it reads 30 lbs but when I open the valve just the water I poured in thwe pump housing comes out
my friend has an old deep well 100ft galvanigeed 1 1/4 pipe and was put down 60 years ago its single pipe and works

I'm telling you the only way a drop of more than 25' works even with a deep well pump is if you have a deep well set-up on the pump and in the well which requires 2 pipes. That's how modern pumps work

the water level starts at 50 ft

Call prompt is automatic I have no control over it. We can continue here. I don't see how a call would make any difference anyway.

do I have to do the ejector with the foot valve

Yes along with a second pipe. Some configs may fit a 4" casing but it's a long shot.

where can I find the ejector and info about the 2 pipe system