Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Can I take down the sheets of drywall that are bowing from…

Customer Question
Can I take down...

Can I take down the sheets of drywall that are bowing from my wall in my condo due to structural or building problems and seal/ treat and leave the concrete wall?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just moved in and saw that our 20 foot wall looks like s boat

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It’s a safety issue the management says, but it’s been a week now and No quote or response other than,.... I’m too busy for this

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
I’m still waiting for someone to answer
3/10/2018
Home Improvement Expert: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 4 months ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi..............of course you could take it down but the question is what do you want to look at every day and be willing to live with ..............thos e walls may be insulated and you will have concrete emanating the cold..........so if you could explain a little better what you are trying to achieve .................... a repair at a later date ?...........management to fix it before it comes down on you?........who will be doing this and footing the cost ?............let me know

Thanks

eddie

Ya it might fall down. It’s a 20 by 20 foot wall. There seems to be nothing between the drywall and the concrete wall. Of course the condo Corp says they are not responsible but it is a structural issue and the building is not yet 5 years old. So rather than deal with the crap. Wondering if I can just take off the silly wall that seems to be fornothing and leave the concrete

you have to be sure there is no wood or steel studs that the drywall is screwed to ...................that is a big undertaking chances are it is not just going to fall off unless there was water collecting behind it and adding weight for it to come down

the picture you sent ...........that is the ceiling the picture being upside down?...........believe it or not that bow is only about a half inch or less..........why is there bare concrete exposed now ?........and could you take a few more photos so I can get a better grasp of things?

That is my ceiling which is concrete already and a view looking up looking at the wall. If I push on the wall it feels like a wave, so I believe it’s not attached to the wall

if they are giving you a hard time I would tape a conversation with them about it and document who you spoke with and when............I can't tell off of the picture..... and what you are telling me if they just did a really poor job of fastening it or something other ..............it has probably been that way for years........if you could as your neighbors if they have the same issue

I hope you have found my answers insightful, with content to your satisfaction and would consider a 5 star rating…….my goal is to give you the best experience with Just Answer as possible.… by your rating it would be the only way I can be compensated in facilitating your inquiry.........a deposit for a subscription was made by you but no payment will be forthcoming unless I am rated…..positive feedback and bonuses are always welcomed and appreciated......and I thank you

eddie