Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I'm trying to replae the drive belt on Deere D-105 lawn

I'm trying to replae...

I'm trying to replae the drive belt on John Deere D-105 lawn tractor. How do I remove drive belt from rear pulley. There is a belt guard keeping the belt from coming off.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

20 minutes

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

These questions are irrelevant. Just answer my question!~

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

???? ???

3/9/2018
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
If you are talking about the guard that looks like a 1/4” bolt coming u from the deck it unscrews from the deck all the way out
More in a moment
Make sure you set the brake before you start . This will loosen the belt
More....
It is tempting to leave this guard off after replacing the belt but it keeps the belt from slipping off the pulley at times when the belt is slack. Examples are hot days or belt has been in a strain . Or sometimes an idler pulley sticks and causes the belt to be too slack.
More..
The nut looking part halfway up the guard can be turned with an open end wrench to remove it .
Make sure you get it good and tight when putting it back .
Make a mental note because when you break a belt and when working in poor light or dirty conditions it may be overlooked when installing a new belt . Starting the engine and engaging the transmission will likely damage the new pelt if it was not placed behind the guard .
Even with the manual some models may vary and you may find it easier to loosen and raise the pulley to get the old belt off and new one on .
If you are talking about the larger metal pulley covers they bolt on to the bottom of the machine .
It can be hard to see the bolts if the machine is dirty and can take a bit of work to find where to put the wrench . An air gun hooked to your compressor (wear safety goggles ) along with a good light .
If you find yourself looking at just threads the bolt head will be on the other side of the metal plate .
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Getting to the rear idler bolt us nearly impossible; can't see it and barely reach it.
Finally dropped the transmission enough to reach the idler bolt.
Broke the plastic piece where the shifter linkage connects to the transmission.
Ordered the part.
Your advice was right on but a little late
Thanks.
Wish I had seen your question sooner.
Glad you are making progress.
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Machinc
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor