Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I wonder if i can get list of steps on how to do a rabbit…

Customer Question
hello there i wonder if...
hello there i wonder if i can get list of steps on how to do a rabbit house including pics please. thanks.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Home Improvement
Answered in 1 day by:
3/10/2018
Home Improvement Expert: Susan Latta, General Contractor replied 1 month ago
Susan Latta
Susan Latta, General Contractor

Hi, my name is***** Contractor and Kitchen and Bath Designer. Welcome to Just Answer, I will be assisting you with your question.

Rabbits like to burrow into the ground and this is their favorite house is under the earth. Is there any way you can do this? I put up a 12 x 12 dog pen under a shade tree and put a heavy, small dog house for the rabbit's protection. I filled the dog house with plenty of straw and the rabbit used it and she also borrowed under the ground, she seemed very happy. She liked treats of carrots and other vegetables and fruits. Rabbits have to have access to fresh, unfrozen water at all times, hay, and shade from the sun. They are happiest when they are on the ground.

They can also be trained to use a little box so you can enjoy them in the house. Here is a good website on rabbits: http://myhouserabbit.com/

When you asked for a rabbit house, were you asking about a rabbit cage? I'm a little unclear. Are you trying to raise rabbits? If you're not wanting to raise rabbits, I would create a pen and house with shade on the ground. Living on wire in a cage is very uncomfortable and unnatural for the rabbit and because it's natural habitat is not on wire.

You must provide shade for the rabbit or it will die from heat exposure.

Hay

Fresh hay should make up the bulk of your rabbit’s diet and needs to be readily available at all times. Adult rabbits can eat timothy, grass, and oat hays, while younger rabbits should be fed alfalfa. Alfalfa should not be given to adult rabbits because of the higher protein and sugar content. Hay is important for rabbits because it provides the essential fiber needed for good digestive health and it helps wear down a rabbit’s teeth (which continuously grow) for good dental health. Placing hay at one end of a litter box will also encourage the use of the litter box, as rabbits tend to eat hay and poop at the same time.

When choosing hay, make sure it looks and smells fresh. Do not choose a hay that looks brown or moldy or no longer smells like fresh cut grass. Store hay in a dry place in a container that allows air flow to keep it from getting moldy. Buying hay in bulk from a local farmer tends to be much more economical than buying bags from a pet store.

Vegetables

A varied assortment of vegetables should be a part of your rabbit’s daily diet. When choosing vegetables look for something fresh and free of pesticides. Always wash your vegetables thoroughly before feeding them to your rabbit. Feed new vegetables in small quantities until you can judge if your rabbit reacts well to them. Do not feed rabbits the leaves from houseplants as many are poisonous to rabbits. For a full list of poisonous plants, visit the Sacramento House Rabbit Society’s page on the subject.

Your rabbit may enjoy some of the following vegetables:

• Basil
  • Bok choy
  • Broccoli leaves (stems or tops can make rabbits gassy)
  • Carrot tops (carrots are high in calcium and should be given sparingly)
  • Celery
  • Cilantro
  • Clover
  • Collard greens
  • Dandelion leaves
  • Dill
  • Kale (sparingly)
  • Lettuce – romaine or dark leaf (no iceburg lettuce and no cabbage)
  • Mint
  • Mustard greens
  • Parsley
  • Water cress

Water

Fresh water must always be available to your rabbit. If you have a cage, a hanging water bottle is a fine option. Rabbits will also drink from a water bowl. On a hot day you can drop an ice cube or two in your rabbits water dish. If your rabbit does not seem to be drinking enough water you can leave the vegetables fairly wet when you present them.

Pellets

These should be purchased so that they are fresh, as bunnies will turn their noses up at stale pellets. Look for pellets that are high in fiber and low in protein. You will need to limit your rabbit’s pellet intake as he/she ages. Pellets that are high in protein can lead to obesity and other health issues in rabbits. Do not give pellets that have “treats” mixed in (dried corn, etc.). These additives are never healthy for rabbits and can cause digestive problems.

Treats

Everybody loves a treat now and then, but to ensure your rabbits health they should be given only occasionally. Do not feed your rabbit items high in carbohydrates like breads, crackers, pasta, pretzels, cookies, chips, or cereal. Although branded for rabbits, many commercially-sold bunny treats are high in fat and sugar, such as yogurt chips, and should not be given. Never give chocolate as it is toxic to rabbits.

Fruit is the best option for a treat, but again you should give it only in small amounts because of the sugar content. We try to purchase organic fruits that we know are free of pesticides. Like vegetables, be sure that they are thoroughly washed.

Some fruits that rabbits enjoy include:

• Strawberries
  • Raspberries
  • Bananas
  • Pineapple
  • Apples (no seeds)

For more information about the types and amounts of food you should provide your bunny as he/she matures from birth into old age, see the House Rabbit Society’s article, FAQ: Diet.

If you have additional questions regarding this subject, please feel free to ask. Thank you for using Just Answer as your handy, go-to informational resource!

Susan

If you feel I have addressed your concerns, please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; this is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating, will not end our conversation, should you have additional questions surrounding this topic. Simply click on “Reply” to write back and I am happy to continue with no additional charges.

Just checking in with you. Did you find my answer helpful?

Susan Latta
Susan Latta
Susan Latta, General Contractor