Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I am re-tiling around the tub. There is old caulk that was…

I am re-tiling around the...
I am re-tiling around the tub. There is old caulk that was between the tub rim and the wall tile. It is extremely hard and very difficult to remove. Is there a solvent to break it down or an approach you recommend to remove it?
3/8/2018
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, an expert advisory company. My name is ***** ***** I am here to help you with your inquiry today…….since I am not there it can be that much more daunting a task….. so I will need your to help with any information that I may ask and you can provide…. This is so I have a more complete picture in trying to resolving this as best as I can… uploading pictures will help considerably if I need them…I ask for your patience and together I am confident we can get this done. I am going to review what you have given me so far........this is an initial assessment:

unfortunately there isn't an easy way ......what you are best off doing in get a plastic putty knife 2 inches or so and with a hammer tap INWARD so you won't scratch any visible part of the tub...................with what is on the tile doesn't matter if they get damaged since you are replacing them you can use a sharp chisel or drywall knife if it is silicone to cut it away

If you could upload a couple of photos it would help out considerably

How to send a photo or file instructions

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Thanks

eddie

nothing came through

Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

if you see that the plastic putty isn't working out you can step it up to the metal one ......you just have to be a little more careful not to scratch............and thank you for your positive rating........and the ensuing payment I will receive........ I trust you were able to make an informed decision or better yet your problem was resolved......or will be.........if you need anything else home improvement wise....... construction…….decorating...... or any kind of repairs etc....... please look for me ......it has been a pleasure

Customer/p>

one other thing ........tape up the tub drain so none of the debris goes down to clog it