Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I am trying to put a door knob in a 2 1/8 inch hole. It is…

second opinion] I am trying...
second opinion] I am trying to put a door knob in a 2 1/8 inch hole. It is one and seveneights inches from the middle of the hole to the edge of the door. I cannot find a suitable set up. What type of set up with this P called or where is somewhere that I can locate it online. It should be able to lock from the inside preferably but not being a key style lock
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is one and seven eights inch from the center of the whole to the edge of the door hi how are you good
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/7/2018
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** allow me a few moments while I do some research, my recommendation will appear shortly.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was transcribing this at a doctors office when she walked in that’s why the ending is a bit weird
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The issue is that adjustable latches will not center themselves properly so that the handle will fit because of the space from the center of the whole to the edge of the door.

This sounds like more of a setback issue than a lock issue. Most locksets come standard with 2 3/8" as the setback. Your description mentions 1 7/8" is that correct?

What brand of lock sets were these holes drilled for and what type lock set are you wanting to install?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They are interior French doors. I just want to set of knobs on them where I can close it and lock it such as the bathroom locked eyes. I don’t know if the smaller measurement is because there is glass insert on the door
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does not size
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have no idea what they were drilled for.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The whole size is 2 1/8

Okay... many of the lock sets have a latch included with the lock that is 2 3/8" and is adjustable to 2 3/4" which makes the lock not line up properly.

The 2 1/8" hole is standard for a door lock that is 2 1/4" - 2 3/8"

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Exactly. So I guess I’m looking for a off-the-shelf solution here

The only lock set I know of that will work for you is a Schlage lock set, however the latch that comes with the lock will be for a 2 3/8" adjustable to 2 3/4" backset. Therefore the solution is to get a separate 1 7/8" latch, which is not available from the home improvement centers.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I need the one and seven eights inch latch which properly centers itself in the 2 1/8 inch hole for the knobs to work

So the way to do this is to order a 7/8" latch from a locksmith store. These are uncommon latches due to the size and are usually for commercial lock sets like gates or store rooms, not for residential homes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if I go down to my local locksmith he’ll know how to help me perfect

Correction 1 3/8" latch not 7/8"

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if I call ahead all I do is ask him if they have a one and three eights latch lock set?

Here is a link showing some examples of the latch and the commercial lockset

https://www.bing.com/images/search q=schlage+1+3%2f8+%22+latches&qpvt=schlage+1+3%2f8%22+latches&FORM=IGRE

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s showing me Katy Perry :-)

No... the correct thing to ask for is a 1 3/8" Schlage latch I believe is an F Series latch normally used for gates and store rooms. The problem is going to be that you will be limited on the lock set style and color and these locks will be expensive.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Should I just Google schlage One and 3/8 latch

https://www.factorydirecthardware.com/schlage-11-068-2-3-8-replacement-spring-latch-with-square-corner-1-x-2-1-4-faceplate.html?msclkid=0d358b4b4f4d11809dc8d1eb03c5b1c0&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=2-24-18%20Bing%20Shopping&utm_term=4579397211340568&utm_content=Ad%20group%20%231#55136

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Perfect I will check it out.

The only other option will be to replace the doors and re-drill the lock set mortises.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There’s glass in the way.

This is if you go the Schlage route, you might ask the locksmith if he knows of a European brand that uses a shorter latch, however I doubt it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Perfect. Thank you!!

You are most welcome...

Hopefully it will work out fine.

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Thank you very much for the positive rating, I sincerely ***** ***** If you need further assistance or help with another question, just let me know.

Best,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor