Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I live in the city of fort worth and want to put a shipping…

I live in the...

I live in the city of fort worth and want to put a shipping container in my back yard, they are better than a wood shed. if i can how large can i go and does it need a cement foundation or can i put it on blocks. not shur if i need a permit ---david

Contractor's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Texas

Contractor's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

City hall has 5 hour wait to get a answer and you stand in line

3/7/2018
Jarrett Baker
Jarrett Baker, Building Inspector

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question regarding your container. I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question. I understand your question to be" if i can how large can i go and does it need a cement foundation or can i put it on blocks ?" So to answer, I would say that in most states, not sure about Texas, you can put anything less that 15'x15' without a permit, as long as it is only storage, not attached to another building, no electricity, or heat, or occupancy, can be on a foundation. Usually anything bigger, used only for storage, not attached to another building, no electricity, heat, or occupancy, can be put on blocks, and is not considered a permanent structure, so no permits are required. However, some cities, do have their own structure laws, pertaining to non-permanent structures and amount of time that it can remain on the property. I have looked at the planning dept. for your city, and I don't thing that a shipping container falls into the storage shed requirements. I would say that a phone call, or email to your local city or county planning dept. would be able to give you the answer, without having to wait in line. Here is how to contact them. “Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so if I've done that, please don't forget to give me a 5-star. It has been my pleasure to assist you! Thank you for posting your question. – Your business is very valuable to us.- J Baker

Jarrett Baker
Jarrett Baker, Building Inspector
Jarrett Baker
Jarrett Baker
Jarrett Baker, Building Inspector