Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Any tips or advice in hiring a handyman who seems a bit

Customer Question
rough around the edges but...
Any tips or advice in hiring a handyman who seems a bit rough around the edges but a local pastor gave a thumbs up. I need odd jobs around the property which i can't do myself with disabilities. What do i need to know while i hire this person regarding his background and his money and how i wil pay him?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Home Improvement
3/7/2018
Home Improvement Expert: Thomas, General Contractor replied 1 month ago
Thomas
Thomas, General Contractor

Thank you for choosing JA! Hello, I will give you the best advice I can, as a contractor myself! It is always the most difficult decision deciding who to TRUST with your project no matter how big or how small. Reputable people and contractors in our industry will ALWAYS encourage you to ask their past clients about their quality of work and how it was to work with them. I will say this...we are not perfect and no one is, things happen and emotions can certainly get involved when dealing with a home project. That said, I would ask, if you do find that in a referencing, I would find out how the contractor dealt with the issue. If they deal with issues professionally, that's important! The bot***** *****ne, do your homework on this person! Get a reference list from him and check his references. You can always use online reference checks if you want to dig deeper. You can check with your pastor if he has other possible references for him since you have a concern about him being rough around the edges. In reality, many construction people, especially handyman types are construction people first and may tend to be a little rough since it is construction first that they know and may lack personal skills so keep that in mind. As far as payment, most of these guys need some money upfront. Don't pay more than half up front and the balance on completion. As he does more work for you and you are satisfied, you can adjust your terms as the guy EARNS your trust! I hope this helps and answers your questions. My best advice is do your homework and hopefully your handyman encourages you to do this. Pay no more than half down and best case is payment upon completion. Thank you again for choosing JA! If you need anything else, please do not hesitate to ask!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How can i make it right regarding license or paying the taxes on income to the government. Do i need to do something or get insurance if he gets hurt? Is there a simple way to manage doing things right all around? THe kind of work i have is lots of little projects at the moment.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi there, Are you around to answer this?

Hi again and thank you for reaching back out! Typically the smaller little jobs may not require a permit to do. Most plumbing service jobs and electrical service jobs or small carpentry repairs do not. That said, your handyman should be a licensed contractor in your City to provide the most "piece of mind" for you. If he is not, but still passes the reference test, he should be licensed and bonded at a minimum. You should request a copy of his license and bond. Depending on your location, the State may require contractors to be licensed. If you are paying him by writing a check or credit card or cash to his company, always get a receipt for your records and you don't need to do anything else. He should take care of any taxes or things like that. Make sure he is licensed or bonded first...BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY...check his references! He may be a small one man show that does great work and is trying to grow his business and his references will tell you that. Licensed and bonded contractors ARE ALWAYS the best place to start...BUT STILL PLEASE CHECK THE REFERENCES!!! Many contractors are licensed, but doesn't mean they do good ethical work. He pays for any licensing...you would pay for any permits if your work would warrant that. He would add that cost to his proposal or quote. Thank you again for reaching back out! I know it can be a very stressful decision on who to trust! Reliable references is ALWAYS THE BEST PLACE TO START and get good piece of mind!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i learned he is not licensed or anything else either. His work appears to be very good-excellent so far. But he can only see from one eye.. and humms constantly... I imagine it would be a niusance to coworkers on a job site. But he gave references for top builders in the area and told me to call the owners of those companies and that they will vouch for him. Can i buy him workmans compensation? Or can i pay his taxes?

As far as workers compensation...that's his responsibility. You can have him sign a contract that says he will hold you harmless in the event he is injured while performing any work on your residence. I suggest you consult an attorney for this! Regarding taxes, if you write the check to him, personally, you should give him a form 1099. That says you paid him personally for work performed and then it is his responsibility to pay his taxes. You can actually just mail this to him before January 31, 2019, is the cut off for 1099's.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Can i pay his taxes or take out the taxes. I don't think he can do the form stuff honestly. I think his days of hardcore construction are over yet his is highly skilled.
Home Improvement Expert: Thomas, General Contractor replied 29 days ago

I understand! You are not obligated to pay his taxes since those are his taxes. As long as you provide the form, it is up to him and, in reality, it is not really legal for you to provide him with tax assistance. All that said, you do not have to worry about the taxes. Whatever he does, or doesn't do, will not come back to you in any way. That is his business. Yours is to make sure he does your work properly! Thank you again for using JA! I would appreciate a positive rating to help future customers know I do provide the best possible service I can! Thank you so much!!!

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
if he is retired age, will his taxes be high? Do we have to give him a 1099? He probably gets many of those from all the small jobs he does right and is used to getting them?
Home Improvement Expert: Thomas, General Contractor replied 24 days ago

I am not a tax expert regarding taxes being high or low, just can give you advice relative to construction. As a construction person, I can tell you that the cost of his services, regardless of how he pays his taxes, should be included in his cost of services. That said, if you make the check out to him personally, you would give him a 1099, which he would account for whatever tax burden in the rate he charges you. After he completes his service, you would mail him a 1099 by Jan. 31 the following year. So if he provided 5 services for you in 2018, by Jan. 31, 2019, you would mail him or give him a 1099 for the total amount of all the service cost he provided in 2018. Thank you again for using JA and I would appreciate a positive rating. After rating me, if you still have further questions, I am happy to try and answer them as they relate to securing your handyman services.

Thomas
Thomas
Thomas, General Contractor