Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

How to free a stuck rotor valve assembly on a Sears

How to free a...

How to free a stuck rotor valve assembly on a Sears Automatic Demand 75 Water Softener model###-##-#### The motor operates. When I tried to turn the rotor valve by hand, it won't turn. Is this repairable; i.e.: disassemble & clean, or would I need to buy new parts. By the way, the softener was working fine until a couple of days ago. And you should note that the softener is 24 years old, so maybe repairing it isn't a good idea (if it's past its working life anyway). Thank you.

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

Just started. It's not severe; I just don't have soft water.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No, I think that pretty much sums it up.

3/6/2018
Gina-Moderator
Gina-Moderator, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Gina, the moderator for this category. I'm so sorry that an Expert has
not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed
assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me
know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you,
Gina~Moderator
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am still looking for answers. Apparently few if any appliance repair folks do water softener repairs.
Home Guru
Home Guru, Handyman

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

You can get the parts to fix the issue if you want to take the assembly apart. I would say based on the model and age buy a new unit they are way more effiecient on salt, but if not here is a link to the parts for your unit...CLICK HERE

All I ask is...Please remember to use the RATING LINK ON YOUR PAGE by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today. Even though you paid the site they will not disburse any part of it to me until you supply a good rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Home Guru
Home Guru, Handyman
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for the reply. At this point I believe I will replace the softener, rather than repair it. A few additional questions:
1) The existing softener has a separate bypass valve that hasn't been exercised in 20 years. It is made of plastic, and I'm assuming it has O Rings. Is there any lubricant, silicone, etc, that I can spray onto this to lubricate the O Rings but will not damage them?
2) What brand would you recommend for replacement? I was thinking of getting another Sears/Kenmore unit.
Thank you!
Home Guru
Home Guru
Home Guru, Handyman