Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I have a pool in backyard, beside it is a walkway that runs…

I have a pool in...
I have a pool in backyard, beside it is a walkway that runs beside it. It is 45' long made of 2x6's It is 3' wide I am tired of painting them and I want to replace them with some sort of plastic or some kind of material like that. Something that is maintenance free. Where can I get something like that?
3/4/2018
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi.......Just wondering would you be able to go over it with 5 quarter composite decking material?..........If you could upload a couple of photos it would help out considerably

How to send a photo or file instructions

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Thanks

eddie

I will get some photos but it will be a couple of hours, how long are you avaliable?

sure........anytime...........I check this just almost every 2 hours........ and will get back to you

I looked at some pictures and it looks like it could be slippery when wet

no its decking material with a texture

great thanks, ***** ***** get pics and send them to you

excellent......thanks

I am having a little trouble sending the pics. I have about 80 2x6x48 boards. I have decided to go a different way as those composite boards are expensive. Is there a paint or coating I could use that lasts a long time. I have heard on the radio ads for some kind of paint for your house that lasts forever??? got any ideas on that subject?

the thing is .......and I have no idea of knowing until you can send those pics........is that it depends on how bad the existing boards you have are deteriorated now........first off ads are going to tell you anything .....and whatever is on the market today is not going to amount to much if they are too far gone

yeah they are expensive but you wanted maintenance free..........will the cost pay for itself in 10 years when you don't have to stain or paint them another 5 times?.............something to think about

you may have skimped a little on the preparation in the past or you waited a long time before you applied any finish to it ........so the problem is two-fold what is on there now is not bonding to the wood and that which lies beneath will give you problems again as far as peeling and checking

it's always the preparation that is the most time consuming and difficult ........with that decking..... some boards first should be repaired if necessary......a cleaner a scrubbing .......then power washed..........dried out really well........a bonding agent and then a paint........and then no guarantees so you are doing it again in maybe 3 years ........with wood decking...........especially in that condition (which isn't all that bad but not all that great)......... it HAS to be maintained and is a real pain at this point

let me ask you......if you are seeking a long term solution..... since you have so many different mediums have you thought of putting the concrete that matches the walk or the pool surround?...........it looks like you have a drainage system in place .................that would really be maintenance free.............and no splinters...........leave that gulley so that it is pitched away from the house install drain pipe .......gravel.......I bet for the cost and labor it would come out better than a replacement with Trex........or the back breaking re conditioning and repaint

Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Thank you for your positive rating........and the ensuing payment I will receive........ I trust you were able to make an informed decision or better yet your problem was resolved......or will be.........if you need anything else home improvement wise....... construction…….decorating...... or any kind of repairs etc....... please look for me ......it has been a pleasure

Customer/p>