Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I have an old furnace in my trailer...it is 40 years old.

I have an old...

I have an old miller furnace in my trailer...it is 40 years old. I’m not sure how old the furnace is since I purchased it from a previous owner. The inside looks like it needs cleaning and is in need of new filters. However, I cannot find the exact filters in my local Lowes. I am wondering if a licensed technician is able to do a tune-up and to replace necessary filters and funky insulation.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

Of course. The filter itself looks like a dried up Brillo pad and the sides of the filter I was told by my neighbor are insulation. I think they are glued as they are sticky at the back if you pry them open. It has somewhat of a honey-combed/diamond shaped lattice structure.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I wanted to but am unsure what materials to use. I cleaned it up as much as I could but the “insulation” at the sides with honey-combed Latice-like surface...I’m unsure where I can find it nor am I sure what heat-resistant material that is safe for furnace I can use to make it stick to the sides. I brought the filter to Lowes and they recommended a 3M filter which I placed in replacement of the Brillo like filter to the front of the furnace.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I need a licensed local technician who knows what to do

3/3/2018
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** allow me a few moments while I do some research, my recommendation will appear shortly.

Can you upload a photo of the inside of the furnace where the filter goes and also the old filter so I can recommend the correct solution.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The photo of me holding a trash bag with a dirty brillo like material is the filter right behind the grill as I understand it. The sticky latice-like sheet blackened by use are on the sides. I think I need to replace them but am not sure what materials to replace it with and what safe adhesive I can use.
33C81CD2-4CDF-4AAB-B2D2...jpeg33C81C...jpegBEFA9DE3-CF2D-44B8-A442...jpegBEFA9D...jpeg0F5F10C1-6614-4183-8884...jpeg0F5F10...jpeg03712656-B9AB-4907-87EE...jpeg037126...jpeg
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Those pictures are after I did some cleaning an vacuuming. As you can see, the furnace is still dirty.

Great photos, thanks... The material in the trash bag looks to be of a washable filter that you can get at your home improvement centers and cut it to fit (over sized won't hurt it). Here is a link as an example.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/True-Blue-20-in-x-30-in-x-1-in-Budget-FPR-2-Washable-Filter-0120301-1/202446710

The side panels are duct/plenum insulation that is glued on to reduce noise and condensation problems.

Here is a link showing several photos of the type of material and how it is used.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=plenum+insulation&qpvt=plenum+insulation&FORM=IGRE

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank hou for your reply. Inhabe a few follow up questions.1. I was told by my local lowes that they didnt have the filter you posted and recommended a 3M filter. Since there is a carcboard frame, I had to remove it and slip the cloth like material on the sides. Is this safe? I didnt want it to catch fire. Please see pic.2. The insulation I see in the pictures look like analuminum metalic material. However, the ones in the pic looks white with a latice-like design on the outside surface stuck with adhesive that has blackened over time. It doesent look metalic at all. Do they function the same way?3. What non-toxic, low VOC, fire retardant adhesive should I use to make the new insulation stick? What product would you recommend?

The washable filter material is safe unless in direct flames and can be installed in a way that doesn't get sucked into the fan. These type of filters are optional to the traditional cardboard throw away type that were treated and have to be installed the correct way.

The insulation can either have a silver backing or a black backing. This insulation material is fire retardant treated and can be installed using a spray adhesive type glue (this is why you can't remove all the little fibers stuck in place). You would need to scrape off as mush as possible and re-apply it as best as possible.

3M is usually a good adhesive to use.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you.Is it safe to slip in a cery thin piece of activated charcoal between the grill and my chosen filter?Can you please also provide a link to the 3M adhesive you mentioned?Thanks.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Cery = very*
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also the filter I showed you is not washable. It is the one with pleated sheets with cardboard frame. Thats the one Lowes recommended. Is this still fine?

Here is a link to the spray adhesive. As for charcoal filter that would be fine providing the pieces don't come off and get sucked into your system. It will make a mess and be very hard to clean.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-7-3-oz-Super-77-Spray-Adhesive-77-10VOC30/301620138

The paper pleated filter is fine except you may not be able to get it in the size you need, the washable type can be custom cut to fit. Both are fine to use.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I see. Thank you. I looked at the spray adhesive and it says its flammable. Is it safe to be so close to the furnace? I dont want it to catch fire.

All adhesives are flammable (it's more with the aerosol than the glue) but it is safe to use so long as not in contact with direct flames. If it starts getting soft/gummy then it is getting warmer beyond reasonable temperatures. If you have concerns, just check it periodically to make sure all is well.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. How long should I wait for the adhesive to dry? When should it be safe to turn on my heater once the insulation has been installed with the 3M adhesive?

The drying time should tell you on the can based on temperatures.

Greetings… Just following up to see if you were still needing some help answering your question?

Thanks,

Dave

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Dave,I think Im good. I just ordered the materials and will give you feedback on how it goes.Thanks

Excellent, thanks for letting me know, hopefully all will go smooth.

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor
David Bowden
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor