Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I am replacing an old thermostat with a digital one and the…

I am replacing an...

I am replacing an old thermostat with a digital one and the terminals don’t match.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

I have no idea. I think it is just a thermostat to thermostat problem.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I am currently doing it.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just need to talk to someone about it.

2/27/2018
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** allow me a few moments while I do some research, my recommendation will appear shortly.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok.

Did you write down the color of the wires and which terminal they went to on the old thermostat?

Can you provide that info and the make/model of the new thermostat... thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Y-yellow, G-green, R-red, O-orange, W2-white, E-brown, C-blueNew is orbit clear comfort pro model 83521

Okay stand by

Do you have a copy of the installation instructions?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do.

Okay... unless you have something special on your system that isn't compatible with this thermostat, it should be fairly straightforward to wire. If you have some other issue please explain.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don’t know where the E wire goes. And does W2 go to W.

What did the E wire control before? Emergency electric heat?

What did W2 control before? Normally W is for heat only, no Aux and no emergency

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don’t know what either controlled. Just know the brown wire was connected to E and there is no E on this one. And the only white wire was connected to W2 and there is only a W on this one.

Okay... stand by

This thermostat is not compatible with Aux and Emergency heating or 2 stage systems. Basic heating/air conditioning uses 4 wires, Red, White, Yellow, Green (Common, Heat, Cool, fan)

You have a total of 7 wires, however this thermostat uses a max of 5 and therefore I don't believe it will work correctly.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Thanks.

Sorry to be the bearer of the bad news, but without a compatible thermostat you will always have issues of it not working correctly. If you need help selecting one that is compatible, let me know.

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor
David Bowden
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor