Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Can you please tell me the height requirement for balcony…

Can you please tell...

Can you please tell me the height requirement for balcony handrails in 2006 for LA

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just accepted offer on my home ! Had inspections ! Inspector said the rail height is not correct ! It currently measures at 391/2 high ! My home is the original model ! Built in 2006

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I can hire or adjust myself

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I just need to know if indeed it needs to be adjusted ! ??? Or is it fine based on the codes when the home was originally built and pasted inspections in 2006

2/21/2018
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** allow me a few moments while I do some research, my recommendation will appear shortly.

Thank-you Dave ! ...

Here is a link to the current code requirements. Homes built after April 3, 1997 shall be between 34 and 38" see section C

for detailed explanation.

https://www.dir.ca.gov/title8/3214.html

This is an out door balcony ! Not inside stair rail

The code applies for all railings regardless of interior or exterior

Is that for decoration or do you have doorway access?

It actually looks like you can simply unbolt it from the sides and lower it to 2"?

It states the current code is 42” ! Would it not be wiser to raise it ? .. to current code ?
Hello ???

What code reference do you see that indicates 42"?

Everything I have read with a reference code number is *****" with the bottom rail no higher than 4" and the space between the balusters (pickets) greater than 4" with the bollards (posts) no higher than 42"

Thank you so much for all your help Dave ! We have just confirmed via Los Angeles building codes and permits ! I appreciate all your help ! Many thanks !

Here is another point of reference that supports the current code of 34-38" as most cities and counties comply with the IRC Building Codes.

tps://inspectapedia.com/Stairs/Guardrailing_Codes.php

You are most welcome... enjoy your new home.

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor