Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I have a Lennox SV 4.5 HT-2 termination vent and birds keep…

I have a Lennox...

I have a Lennox SV 4.5 HT-2 termination vent and birds keep making a nest in it...can I adjust the two flanges on the top to close it down to keep the birds out? The installer left the two flanges bent at about 45 degrees.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

I noticed birds chirping the past two days and went up on a ladder today and cleared the nest out.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Eys yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

That's about it...

Answered in 1 hour by:
2/19/2018
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** allow me a few moments while I do some research, my recommendation will appear shortly.

C​an you forward a couple photos showing the vent the birds are entering into, that way I can recommend a solution.

Let me go take a couple pics....how do I attach them here?

Y​ou can upload photos using the attachment icon and then locate them by browsing, just like attaching a file.

that's a side view of course. the aluminum is pretty pliable, I was able to move the lower flange closer to flat and close down the upper flange to like 25 degree angle...i've since put them back to their approximate original installed angles....

Thanks for the photo. I recommend the easiest way is to simply add a section of wire mesh cut a little over sized to cover the opening whereby preventing the birds entering as well as keeping the vent open.

Here is a link showing an example of both the mesh which can be cut over sized and screwed onto the vent hood using washer head self tapping screws.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-4-in-x-2-ft-x-5-ft-23-Gauge-Galvanized-Steel-Hardware-Cloth-308231EB/205960850

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Teks-8-x-1-2-in-Phillips-Zinc-Plated-Steel-Truss-Head-Drill-Point-Lath-Screws-260-Pack-21520/100164313

Yeah I was thinking along those lines...I guess the angles are meant to divert water and maintain air flow...thanks for the links....off to home depot....thanks for the advice !

You are most welcome, interesting that there isn't a standard vent for this heater to also prevent water entering...

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Thank you very much for the positive rating, I sincerely ***** ***** If you need further assistance or help with another question, just let me know.

Best,

Dave