Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Once again, Rick. I am planning to have Marmoleum linoleum…

Hello, once again, Rick. I am...
Hello, once again, Rick.
I am planning to have Marmoleum linoleum installed in my approximately 30 square foot bathroom. I like that it is Greenguard certified. I have contacted the company that makes it and read a lot about it online. It is recommended that in sheet form, only a certified Marmoleum authorized installer do this job, but they offer also an easy to install (DIY) click 12 x 12" tile (floating) or the same that requires glue. In any case, I would have it installed, even the easy to install Click type. My question is which would you recommend? The current floor is I think vinyl. It is broken in a few places, but I don't know how easy it would be to remove. I asked about pros and cons, and it seems that the sheet which simulates wood looks better with continuous pattern that only the sheet would provide, but it is harder to install properly, and unless the installer knows how to do it right, it can be a problem. The tiles if not done right can get water between the seams. Which would you think is best? Should the existing floor necessarily be removed?
2/16/2018
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

I'd go with the sheet goods. An authorized installer should be able to do it right. Generally you can go over the existing floor if it's in good shape but if this product has specific guidelines that say otherwise you have to follow those guidelines.

Thank you. Which do you think is better, sheet or tiles?
Oops, I just saw your reply.

You're welcome

Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Hi Rick, I have a follow up question. Are you available now?

I'm here

Great!

Ok, what's your question

Can you identify what I have on my bathroom floor that I am removing from the picture?
I found this info about the Marmoleum: Note: Marmoleum Sheet and Marmoleum Tile should not be glued directly to underlayment or subfloors made of luan, particleboard or chipboard because these materials expand and contract too much and are not stable. Neither should they be applied over vinyl, asbestos or ceramic tile. If asbestos tile, please consult local authorities about abatement.

Looks like vinyl sheet goods any idea how old it is?

The part that is chipped is the existing floor, and the brown area is the underfloor. I moved here in 2004 and it was there, Hose is from mid-sixties.
House, not hose, was built mid-sixties.
Can you clarify this sentence: Neither should they be applied over vinyl, asbestos or ceramic tile. Are they referring to the glue on product or all products including the click (no glue) product?

If this is the original flooring then there's likely asbestos in the backing. We don't remove this type of flooring. We go over it with 1/4" underlayment rated plywood. Technically only a licensed asbestos abatement contractor can remove this which is why we leave it in place and go over it. Removal by a homeowner is a gray area.

I see. Is it very dangerous?? I removed something like this decades ago from my old house. Didn't know better.

Exposure is marginal unless you sand it off then it is high. If you're going to remove it only scrap it off, wear a mask, close the door, run an air filter then discard the filter cartridge.

Thank you. (I didn't sand anything, so I guess it's OK?) This time, I'll have the plywood put over it.

You're welcome

I didn't wear a mask.

Don't sweat it. It may not even be the original flooring. The style looks newer than '60's vintage

Should I worry about this from decades ago?
I'm worrying about the original flooring I myself removed from my old kitchen decades ago, not wearing a mask. Don't worry about that?

Odds are low of any issues.

I didn't sand anything...I shouldn't worry about it?

Don't sweat it

OK. Can I just put the click floor over this existing floor if it turns out to have the asbestos backing? Can the installer tell by looking at it?

I wouldn't use the tiles. The sheet goods option is much better particularly in a bathroom. The installer should know about the asbestos issue.

Thank you very much.