Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Lg dishwasher will start cycle and stop after a few minutes…

Lg dishwasher will start...

Lg dishwasher will start cycle and stop after a few minutes and code out with OE

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your dishwasher? And have you run a diagnostic test cycle?

LG - LDF7551st

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

4 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I check the drain hose and disconnected it from the disposal and blew into it and water came easily to the dishwasher. I am thinking that it is something stuck in the pump assembly

When I do the drain cycle the small amount of water that is present is trying to drain but it seems as though there is not enough suction to pull it all out.
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/3/2018
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** allow me a few moments while I do some research, my recommendation will appear shortly.

Here is a link to the troubleshooting and error code guide. Basically the OE code means there is a draining problem or the filter needs cleaning.

http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-LDF7551ST

I doubt the problem is pump related. many times the problem is the disposal discharge line or the airgap are blocked and restricts the water flow during the pump cycle and doesn't allow all the water to be removed. The remaining water (water in the uphill line) runs backwards and refills the pump and bottom of the dishwasher. Once the pump stops it usually has an open port where the water is allowed to re-enter the dishwasher. There are 4 things to check;

1. The airgap is not blocked

2. The discharge hose from the airgap is not blocked

3. The hole inside the disposal is not blocked

4. The drain line is re-positioned to prevent water from running backwards and into the dishwasher.

These are all common problems and all are easy to resolve.

Greetings… Just following up to see if you were still needing some help answering your question?

Thanks,

Dave

How do you re-position drain line?
Don’t have many options in setup
Drain line has to go up to the disposal. Never had any problems before.
Took dishwasher apart and could not find any blockage in the line or pump motor.

It has nothing to do with the options, it is all past the dishwasher when the adjustments need to be made. The drain line needs to have a slight dip in it, not a continuous sweep or curve, sort of like a P-trap does. This makes a flat or low spot to help prevent the water from re-entering the dishwasher.

Looking like a failing motor

The drain line from the air gap to the disposal also needs to be clear and more importantly the disposal hole needs to be clear. It is very common to have food built up inside the disposal that partially blocks the dishwasher drain line and prevents the dishwasher from emptying completely.

The air gap is completely free and I also checked the disposal. We ran a quick load on dishwasher and it made it to 1 minute remaining and OE
I can see water draining to the disposal

What did you check on the disposal?

Yes water will drain but many times on a partially blocked opening

The line from disposal and the hole where line goes into
I put a screwdriver into the hole and it appears to be clear

If you take a wire coat hanger a place it inside the disposal and feel for the dishwasher drain line, insert the coat hanger a clean it out. You might be surprised what comes loose.

I put my finger inside of it and couldn’t find anything

If everything on the air gap and disposal are clear, then try re-positioning the dishwasher drain line as I mentioned and see if that helps the problem, if not then perhaps you do have a problem with the dishwasher pump or the control panel.

Ok. I will try to Re-position drain line like a P-Trap. Thx

Another option is to bypass the air gap altogether and put the dishwasher drain hose directly into the disposal. This will help reduce the hill the water has to climb and will also help prevent food blockage, and will even allow for an accessory on the sink deck.

David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave

I only have one line to the disposal

Yes and if you have a double bowl sink you can place the dishwasher drain line directly to the disposal and remove the entire air gap and drain lines.

Thanks,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor