Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

My wife put metamucil down our sink and it's gelled and

Hi. My wife put...

Hi. My wife put metamucil down our sink and it's gelled and clogged up about six feet of pipe.I have snake but it just seems to cut its own hole through the gel and doesn't take any back with it. Does that make sense?

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

Been working on it for a few hours. Severe in that I can't use my kitchen sink.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Don't think so.

1/23/2018
Home Guru
Home Guru, Handyman

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

Ok, thanks.

Are you able to snake it while running water down the drain? Or do you have the trap off and are just going down the pipe?

I have the trap off in the basement and the pipes off the garbage disposal so I haven't been able to run the water when doing it.

OK you will have to be able to run some water through it to dissolve the metamucil or it will just be gel in the pipes

Ok. Hot water in particular...or boiling?
does it matter that it's already gel? Dry.

I would run hot water down the line to clear it out faster as it will dissolve with enough water, but it will take a little while to dissolve. You just need to get it to start to drain and then flush as much water as you can down the line to clear it totally.

All I ask is...Please remember to use the RATING LINK ON YOUR PAGE by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today. Even though you paid the site they will not disburse any part of it to me until you supply a good rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Home Guru
Home Guru, Handyman