Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

My garage door remotes work very intermittantly- I have

My garage door remotes...

My garage door remotes work very intermittantly- I have changed the batteries & tried to renew the operating code based on the insrux in the manual but no luck- are my remotes too tired? They are over 15yes old

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Like 4 months

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I'm trying to go that route- my next try will be to buy new remotes & program them but not sure the remotes are the issue

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I've tried to boot the opener by leaving it unplugged 2 days & tried to marry up the remotes via both the smart button & door control methods

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of the appliance? And has it done this before?

Liftmaster 2000SDR- no it has not & I am the original owner- no previous service work has ever been performed on the unit

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
1/22/2018
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi .......it could very well be ............the remotes may have frequently used buttons that are worn now...........or the battery is not making good contact ........what you can do to start off is use a nail file on the metal parts of the battery compartment and clean with an alcohol swab and let dry...................replace and then jiggle the button some when trying to operate it and see if you get anything................please let me know

Thanks

eddie

Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
The contacts are clean & shiny- I filed them slightly & sprayed electric cleaner but no difference- plus the remotes work better when the opener lights are off
Eddie
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor