Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Perhaps a foundation issue... I had a large area of a 19…

Perhaps a foundation issue... I had...
Perhaps a foundation issue...
I had a large area of a 19 year old porcelain tile floor suddenly ‘pop up’ from a concrete slab. It popped up 4-6 inches immediately after unusually cold (14 hrs below 32F) weather. The noisy event follows flooding in August from hurricane Harvey that brought the ‘water table’ to within 24” of the slab not counting the severe rainfall that also wet the soil. Don’t believe there is any concrete slab damage but haven’t inspected yet.
Thoughts as to why/how this happened?
1/22/2018
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
This sounds more like a temperature issue and moisture content issue rather than structural .More in a moment....
The tile will be a different temperature than the slab on many occasions . The natural expansion and contraction of the materials can usually cope but extreme circumstances like you have described can lead to failure between adhesion of materials.
Unless you need to make repairs immediately It would be better to wait until things are more stable .
While you can’t control the water table the temperature and humidity of the room are more under your control .
Deciding how much this is needed and how much expense and effort you want to put into this is of course based on your budget and the use you need for the room .
Some slabs are better off not being tiled while others like yours originally
lasted for years.
These record breaking temperatures and floods may never happen again however preparing for the 100 year flood “ is looked on with much. Seriousness by many .
Wait until spring to make your repairs if replacing the tile . If other products are used (paint) vinyl ,carpet you can warm and dehumidify the room and proceed when you see you can keep it stable .
Just reinstalling the tiles that popped up could be an option but could turn out to be the least sadtifactory . With no chances in circumstances other than
the water table changing on its own and milder temperatures this is likely to happen again.
I would not suspect any damage to the slab from the circumstances you have described . If possible a more thorough examination when things like replacing all the tile with a different style or product makes the entire surface visible .
It’s always a possibility but I feel just from what you have described you slab stands a good chance of being undanaged.
After 19 years your floor might have been on the verge of failure without a lot of outside help .
I would take this as just a part of the cycle of home maintenance and repairs rather than a major event that would lead to more problems.
Not talking about the foundation. Just the porcelain tile.
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor