Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I have a 6 yr old California Pepper that lost a lot of

I have a 6...

I have a 6 yr old California Pepper that lost a lot of leaves two years ago and an arborist told me that I may have been watering it too much. I cut way back and that stopped the problem While the tree seems to be recovering and is putting out plenty of foliage in the front where the sun is, the foliage in the back portion of the tree is still pretty sparse. Is there anything I can do to help it recover?

Contractor's Assistant: What kind of climate are you in?

Southern California, Inland valley

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depends on what needs to be done. I'm 68 yr old woman

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that can think of... It seems to be recovering, just taking a very long time, especially in the area that doesn't get direct sun Thank you.

1/21/2018
Home Guru
Home Guru, Handyman

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

Can you move the tree?

No. It's about 20 ft tall and been in the same spot since I bought it. I realize now I was overwatering it, trying to get it established after it was planted.
It stopped dropping leaves within a short time of cutting back on watering and as I said, it's recovering, but seems to be taking so long.

Have you had it properly pruned?

Only the lower portion that was hanging over a sidewalk.
This is the area in the sun and is growing well.

I would have the tree prunes and thinned out a bit to promote new growth you would be surprised at how a good pruning of the whole tree will bring it back to life.

All I ask is...Please remember to use the RATING LINK ON YOUR PAGE by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today. Even though you paid the site they will not disburse any part of it to me until you supply a good rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

OK. In the meantime, are there any fertilizers that you would recommend, if that would help also?

Yes these work very good....CLICK HERE

Home Guru
Home Guru, Handyman
Thank you.

No problem, just get professionals to prune it from a reputable company and use those and you will be back in shape in no time.