Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I recently stained floors in a master bedroom with an oil…

I recently stained floors in...
I recently stained floors in a master bedroom with an oil based stain. There are so many imperfections, I.e brushstrokes, stain slightly heavier in certain areas, etc. the floors still feel pretty oily even though it’s been over two days. If I walk on them, it leaves footprints which easily wipe up, however it will then leave a wipe mark that is slightly duller, but returns almost all the way back to normal after a few minutes. If I put a polyurethane finish on the floors as is now, will it hide all these imperfections and leave it with a better finish, or will it lock the imperfections in?
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/21/2018
Home Guru
Home Guru, Handyman

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

Yes do not put a poly coat on it or it will just enhance all the brush stroke and imperfections in the floor. Anything that shows now will show even more with a Poly coat on it.You would either have to fix the spots you have then do it or poly it and just live with it.

All I ask is...Please remember to use the RATING LINK ON YOUR PAGE by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today. Even though you paid the site they will not disburse any part of it to me until you supply a good rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

OK you would have to sand the whole floor you can not just sand parts of it, it will never look right. You will always see the spots wherever you sanded. There is not real fix for this other than to sand the whole floor down and stain the whole thing or just live with that.

Home Guru
Home Guru, Handyman
Phone call session started
Oh no. It looked ok before this last coat was applied, just one color was a slightly different shade where I had to re mix stain. Any possible way I can just spray some goo gone and remove top coat??

Not really as it will likely make it worse you could try and sand the spots down and reapply the stain again.

Hello?

Yes I am here, I am not sure you got my reply it will likely make it worse you could try and sand the spots down and reapply the stain again.

Sorry, I didn’t get your response and now received both of them. Meanwhile, I did use the goo gone, and it seems to be working! It’s not perfect, but good enough to not be too noticeable. I’ll coat it with poly in a few days and be done with it so I can put this baby on the market! ��
Thank you so much for your help!

No problem at all

Home Guru
Home Guru
Home Guru, Handyman