Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

We have two showers both with wands. When we use the master…

We have two showers...

We have two showers both with wands. When we use the master shower there is no problem the shower starts and shuts off properly. When someone is using the guest shower the shower in the master (which is off) starts leaking significantly? This makes no sense as the line pressure should be less.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Three weeks (note we had the core of the master valve changed about 3 months ago and there was no problem).

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If i CAN

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/21/2018
Home Guru
Home Guru, Handyman

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

Was this a problem before when you had the valve changed out?

No the head leaked 24/7 and that is why we had it replaced

OK so the valve was changed in the bathroom that is not leaking now, now the other bathroom shower is leaking when the one you had the valve changed out is on?

reverse. the shower which as the new valve leaks when the other shower is used

So this started about 3 months after the install?

about

OK one of the orings or seals must be bad in the new valve, what brands or models are the units? Are they just a cylinder cartridge valve?

without dis mantle I cannot give you brand name

Yes it is common for them to wear out, what happens is if the seal is not the best when the pressure is low it will leak a fair amount around it. When pressure is high it will not leak since it actually presses the seal tight and stops leaking. You may have a bad cartridge valve or a burr inside the valve body causing them to wear out early. I have found that often you can get a bad one out of the box, but you have to use a rag and screwdriver making sure the body is clean, plus lubricate the valve with plumbers grease prior to installing for longlife. The bot***** *****ne is get a new valve cartridge. You can install these yourself on most units as they are easy to put in.

CLICK VIDEO HERE

All I ask is...Please remember to use the RATING LINK ON YOUR PAGE by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today. Even though you paid the site they will not disburse any part of it to me until you supply a good rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Home Guru
Home Guru, Handyman