Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I have a whirlpool natural gas water heater 40gal model

I have a whirlpool...

I have a whirlpool natural gas water heater 40gal model number BFG2F4040T3NOV. The pilot light would not stay lit so I cleaned all around and that seemed to help until yesterday when the pressure release valve let several gallons of water out. Then today the pilot light stays lit but the burner won’t engage even when you turn up the control knob.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

I’m not sure on the age I just purchased the home. I’m sure it’s probably 10yrs old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of

1/21/2018
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

M​ost likely the problem is the thermostat/gas valve (Unitrol) that is failing. These are replaceable however they are expensive and if you have a 10yr old tank you would be better to replace the entire water heater. After 10yrs the tanks get a lot of sediment and deposits on inside, preventing efficiency. You may also consider installing a 50gal water heater that is only a few dollars more but gives the extra 10gals really makes a difference.

Let me know if you require further assistance

Ok thank you

You are most welcome and enjoy the new year.

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Thank you very much for the positive rating, I sincerely ***** ***** If you need further assistance or help with another question, just let me know.

Best,

Dave