Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I live on the 2nd and 3rd floor of a condo and want to

I live on the...

I live on the 2nd and 3rd floor of a condo and want to upgrade my electric panel. I have received 3 quotes with conflicting information. One says to just replace my old circuit breaker (which I believe are original electric panel built in the 1980's not fuse) if I am not going to live in my condo for more than 10 years. Another says to replace panel but leave it at 100 amp even though my panel is fully loaded but buzzing when I turn on my electric fireplace now. Another says I can increase my panel to 150 amp without doing any new wiring or contacting my home owner's association. Which is correct?

Contractor's Assistant: Have you talked to a construction professional about the floor?

No why would I talk to them about the floor?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No just need to know which electrician is correct so we can make a good decision not one based on price

1/20/2018
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't see any response.

Hi ....I'm sorry I am in the process of fashioning a response for you .........just a few more moments

the buzzing or arcing probably has you feeling uneasy ..........but there may be a fix for that ...the cause is either the breaker lug or screw needs to be tightened....in fact do all of them...vibration tends for them to come loose.............or the bus bar section that the breaker to the fireplace connects to is corroded from past arcing and should be changed and could be moved to a different location if you have room in the panel ........you may want to try that first I can help you more when you are ready .......please let me know

Thanks

eddie

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No the circuit breaker does not need to be replaced. If you read what I wrote I want to upgrade my electric panel and I need to know of the 3 electricians I had come out to give me a quote which one is telling me the truth about what I can/should do to replace it. Please read what I wrote.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
As I wrote my current electric panel is OLD and FULLY LOADED.

I did ..........I just thought you might have wanted to fix the arcing ..........the first quote is in part with my solution

the second ....he is trying to replace a now defective bus bar

the third if you have breakers that pop and are overloaded then yes upgrade if it is cost effective for you

did I answer you inquiry or do you still have some reservations?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm sorry but that is not helping. None of the electricians were told about the buzzing. My question is simple. I have I believe a 100 amp electric panel now. One told me just to replace the current circuit breaker which will not give me more breakers. One told me I should upgrade to a bigger panel with more circuit breakers but still remain at 100 amps. Third told me I can upgrade to a bigger panel and 150 amp. I just need to know if I choose the third option since I have a 100 amp circuit breaker can I upgrade to the 150 amp now without doing a lot of work in regards ***** ***** (walls or going to electric company and home owner's association)? Or if option 3 does require a lot of work which option is "smarter" upgrade the whole electric panel or just replace the circuit breakers?

you gave me 2 variables .......one was no more than 10 years and the other cost will be the issue for a span in that time .......maybe I can make it simpler this way .........again if the current panel is serving you well without any tripping of breakers then the panel you have is functional...........IF...........in this 10 year time you plan on doing a kitchen or bathroom remodel .......or adding something that will increase your load output then yes upgrade your panel to a 150 service.........there will be costs then of running new wires to these areas I just mentioned .......the electric trade's costs....material and labor......running the new wires........patching and repainting all the areas they lead to........and you would have to get permits and inspections which will be inclusive of your owners association

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do plan on upgrading my kitchen but not adding any new outlets just replacing existing cabinets and countertops. I have already updated my bathrooms and again not replaced any outlets or had anything done to the electical.So then the third electrician who said he could upgrade my panel to 150 amp without doing any wiring just put in a bigger panel is not the truth?

no......without me knowing what was said ....... he probably assumed that in time you may have wanted to remodel or add .....say even a ceiling fan or spare refrigerator ....then you wouldn't have to worry about it ............but you can when and if the time comes .........as far as the kitchen goes your refrigerator should be on a dedicated line along with a dishwasher or a microwave..........when you get in your contractor he may tell you that

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No the third electrician did not ask me about any plans for upgrades. He just came in and took pictures of my old electric panel and told me that he could upgrade it to 150 amp without wiring or going through my home owners association. I did tell him one other electrician said that they had told me to upgrade to the150 amp it would require the wiring. So my question is can it be done as the third electrician said it can be done or can it NOT be done.

the third one sounds like he is going to leave the old wires that come off the meter..........I am not there to tell you how good ....bad or old and brittle that they are ..........and the second will replace them when the utility company changes their wires to new

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK I understand that. Going with the assumption that the wires are fine behind the panel can the panel be upgraded to 150 amps without having to do anything else to the wiring and without having to go the pole outside?

no because if you upgrade to a larger service the thickness or mil of the existing wire may have to be changed out also

Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks. That answers all of my questions

you're welcome and thank you for your positive rating........and the ensuing payment I will receive........ I trust you were able to make an informed decision or better yet your problem was resolved......or will be......if you need anything else home improvement wise....... construction…….decorating...... or any kind of repairs etc....... please look for me ......it has been a pleasure

eddie22Island

one more thing .......a favor if you wouldn't mind telling me what was the cost of the estimates......and what state you live in ........I am curious to see how commensurate it is with NY .............Thank you

Eddie
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor