Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

We are wanting to temporarily remove a stairlift (a Har) The…

We are wanting to...

We are wanting to temporarily remove a stairlift (a Har)

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

The stairlift is made by a company named "Harmar" and the model is called "Pinnacle". Other info listed on the stairlift: "Worm/Worm Rack Dr."; Rated speed: 20 FPM"; Rated Load: 350 lbs; Input: 24V DC, 2A Max; Output: 24V DC, 13.8 A. We are having new carpet installed, yet, our carpet installers have just told us they can't install the new carpet on the stairs with the stairlift there. We just want to know if we coul

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

We are trying to find someone to do this for us, but, yes, it's looking like we will ha e to take the stairlift off ourselves.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

That's it. We just want to take off the stairlift, have the installers put the new carpet on the stairs, then have the stairlift put back on.

Answered in 3 days by:
1/23/2018
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
You need to to renegotiate with your carpet installer.
More in a moment
The track mounts on a random number of steps as needed . The bracket can be removed as the carpet and then put back on top of the carpet . This can be done one at a time as the carpet is installed on the stair tread .
Totally removing the stair lift would be a very expensive case of overkill .
More
Contact the carpet sales person and ask them to help you negotiate with the installers .
Any experienced installer can work it these brackets as they install the carpet.
More...
Of course they will want to charge you but it will still be less than a total removal and replacement .
Working one step and one bracket at a time is not an unreasonable request and how it should be done .
More...
You can contact your local dealer of your stair lift for advice and to head off any potential problems.
The brackets are adjustable and when you figure the compression of the carpet and pad under the bracket little or no adjustment should be needed.
You should find the carpet sales staff very helpful in convincing the installer to work it you .
More..
Of course it would be easier if the stairlift were not there but removing it is not practical and an unnecessary expense just for ease of installation by the carpet installers.
The brackets are not that technical and removing and then putting back one at a time should not be a problem.
A shame to have to start over but worst case scenario there are carpet dealers who will be glad to find experienced installers who can handle this kind of installation.
More.
There are electrical connections and alignment considerations plus the heavy weight of the track and motor that make trying to totally remove and then reinstall the stairlift yourself not a good idea.
I would renogiate and if that does not work I would look for a different carpet dealer with more experienced installers with this type of installation.
The carpet slides right in place once the bracket is removed . Then immediately put the bracket back and move on to the next step.
This is something you could do yourself if you don’t mind working along with the carpet installers.
Removing the entire stairlift is not necessary to install carpet on the stairs .it would be an unnecessary expense .
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thanks for the advice--very much appreciated!! This was very helpful. J. Snodgrass
You are welcome .
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Machinc
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor