Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

The backflow preventer on the sprinkler system froze in the…

Customer Question
The backflow preventer on...

The backflow preventer on the sprinkler system froze in the recent storm and is now leaking. I opened the plastic top after turning the water off. What now?

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

The temperature got warm enough yesterday afternoon to thaw and start the gush out of the top, around the lid. I turned the source of the water off and turned it off at the pipe when I was able to get near it without getting sprayed.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can. My husband was alive and did it before.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Well do I take the plastic part off the pipe by screwing it off?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
1/19/2018
Home Improvement Expert: Rick, General Contractor replied 7 months ago
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You need to replace the device if it froze. It can't be rebuilt or at least I've never seen or heard of a successful rebuild of a frozen back flow preventer.

How do I get it off the pipe?

You need a plumber unless you know how to make piping connections

If you do then I need to know what type of piping you have

Thank you my neighbor fixed it.
Home Improvement Expert: Rick, General Contractor replied 6 months ago

You're welcome