Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Two coworkers were arguing about clearing plugged lines

today. The line contained...
Two coworkers were arguing about clearing plugged lines today. The line contained fats, oils and grease. One coworker said you can't use steam because the plug prevents the steam from flowing. Since the steam doesn't flow, it won't heat the material, it will only pressurize it and condense the steam. The second coworker says that is doesn't matter if there is no way for the steam to flow, it will still heat the material and push it through. Which one is correct and why?
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/19/2018
Math-Stat

Hi

Thank you for using this site, what topic is this? (under what subject/course)?

I was trying to ask it under plumbing and electrician

Hold one please, I will send this to that category.

I will open this question so proper experts can assist you. Please hold on while I transfer this to proper category.

canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today.

Really they are both correct. Steam would be a solution to the issue but steam would not be the only solution. It would have to be used in combination with pumped hot water and possibly a drain auger too. You would also need the proper equipment. It would not be a matter of heating some water in a kettle and pouring it down the drain. You would need specialized equipment to jet hot water and steam into the drain.

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?

It was helpful, but the only option available was steam.

There is not any way to deliver steam into the piping without some sort of delivery tool so I would say that introducing steam only into the pipe without any additional tools would not clear it.

canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
canuck the pro
canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman