Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I have a Laars Endurance boiler that is periodically venting…

I have a Laars...

I have a Laars Endurance boiler that is periodically venting steam on its own through some type of relief pipe. Can you help me?

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

Started a week ago. Had a new igniter installed about 2 months ago. I initially cured the problem by shutting the system down for about 6 hours. That was a week ago. Just now, it started again. Not severe. About once per hour it vents itself with about 10 exhausts, then stops.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Probably not. I can contact the tech who installed the igniter. That's expensive, but I'm not trained. Can this have something to do with the prior work or is it a new problem? And how concerned should I be?

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I just bought this apartment a few months ago. All new to me.

1/19/2018
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your

issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation. What you describe is usually caused by a failed expansion tank. When the water in the system heats up it expands. The expansion tank gives it someplace to expand into. When the tank fails the pressure rises as the water get hot and the pressure relief valve discharges. This is unrelated to the igniter work

There is a copper pipe going down through what appears to be a tube (too difficult to get access for a photo) and it appears the steam is being forced down into that tube with nowhere to go, so it comes back out into the ambient air. The tube is hot to the touch. Perhaps by shutting the unit down I gave it time to cool off? But for the past two days the system has been powered on, though not used much. And no problem until now.

The relief valve has a discharge pipe.

Same diagnosis

I don't need a pic. What you describe is a common problem. Most likely you need a new expansion tank

If any parts are needed, I'll need a technician to get it right and install it. If you're suggesting that I just can open or close a relief valve, that sounds like it won't be a cure, just a patch until I get it fully repaired. So unless I'm missing something, I won't benefit from a walk through and I'll need to get the tech out. So thank you. If I missed something, please advise.
No additional charges approved at this time.

You need a tech and at no time did I even suggest opening the relief valve. You should leave it alone.

Thank you very much. No phone call needed.

You're welcome. The call prompt is automatic. I have no control over it. You can ignore it.

Rick
Rick, General Contractor