Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

WE live in an old 3+story home. Many bricks from our chimney…

Customer Question
WE live in an...

WE live in an old 3+story home. Many bricks from our chimney fell off the chimney on Monday..My question, Is it safe to stay in the home in the extreme cold/weather? Our furnace is gas boiler in the basement and we have old radiators which we have to bleed prior to turning on the heat. Also, the roof is a flat roof. Thanks for any help!

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

The thermostat has remained the same set temperature; No,no filters were checked in the basement on the furnace.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

NO- I person living in the house is a rather ill 74yr. old female; the other person is a 70 yr old female who has difficulty doing steps.....

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

My main concern is if it is safe to stay in the home from which bricks have fallen from the chimney,and I if nothing is done to the chimney until after winter is done, will it break our the furnace /or heating system??? Do we run a risk of caarbon monoxide fumes in the home??? As you can see

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
1/18/2018
Home Improvement Expert: Rick, General Contractor replied 4 months ago
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

As long as the chimney has intact brickwork a extending a couple feet above the roof line you're OK for now. This will need to be addressed at some point. The sooner the better. You should have at least 1 carbon monoxide detector on every floor level of the house.

Brian
Brian
Brian, Architect