Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

My dishwasher never seems to have hot water due to the lag…

My dishwasher never seems...

My dishwasher never seems to have hot water due to the lag time to supply hot water in between cycles as the DW calls for water. Is there an adjustment to make to my RL75 tankless unit?

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your dishwasher? And have you run a diagnostic test cycle?

RL751

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No diagnostic run, water works well when a steady call for hot water is run, like when showering

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No, my issue is once hot water is run and stopped (like in-between wash cycles of my DW) it takes a very long time for the water to heat up

1/18/2018
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Unlike showering your dishwasher has a timed cycle and is expecting hot water on demand .
You could temporarily run the dishes through twice until a better solution is out in place .
More in a moment....
The distance between your heater and the dishwasher is far enough that a large amount of water remains in the pipe before it gets to the dishwasher . This water can chill pretty fast leaving the dishwater with a large amount of cold water before the heated water arrives . While moving the dishwasher or the water heater is a highly unlikely solution there are other alternatives.
More in a moment...
There are small inline heaters that fit under the kitchen cabinet . They work well and are relatively inexpensive considering the circumstances . This heater would serve your dishwasher only it it could also serve the kitchen sink . I’ll get a link and be right back.
http://showerinsider.com/best-under-sink-water-heaters-reviews/
This is a site with general information about under sink on demand heaters .
You should contact a local professional licensed plumber who would probably give you a free estimate for installing the exact unit you need and wether or not to tie in the kitchen sink .
While this could wind up costing an installation charge it would be worth it to have it professionally done and the problem solved.
More...
If you are comfortable doing the work yourself you are looking at a solution for around $200.00 or so. They are not hard to install but it is tight under the sink and tools are required . You of course would know your own comfort level .
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
This is a good solution to your problem and would also give you hot water in your kitchen sink faster if that has been a concern or a problem .