Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Should contractors invoices give a description of what

you're billed for? Every invoice...
Should contractors invoices give a description of what you're billed for? Every invoice my contractor sends has no description. For example: I get an invoice that says 'reconstruction billing' $8,823.12.......the invoice number is ***** so, I refer to the progressive payment schedule and the description is 'reconstruction billing' (change order 6) and I look at change order 6 and it says 'additional code upgrade work required by the city per attached itemized breakdown, 02-160184-03_IS3_abbreviated $8,823.12.' So, I go to 02-160184-03_IS3 and it says 'The following estimate is for code upgrade items per the city direction and written correction notice. Everything the contractor writes i.e. estimates, change orders, progressive billing etc. is just as confusing to follow. Is their something wrong with this picture? Thank-you...evelyn
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/18/2018
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi what you need to do is ask for an itemized estimate

even then it will be a little abbreviated......unless it is a reputable and largely staffed company...........most contractors do not want the customer to know what each item is because ........playing the devils advocate........it leads to problems with both parties......for example.......the client will say, "You charged me this for this?" .........but in the meantime he may have made up for it in a different area or not ........it leads to a warzone more times than not

Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Thank you for your positive rating........and the ensuing payment I will receive........ I trust you were able to make an informed decision or better yet your problem was resolved......or will be......if you need anything else home improvement wise....... construction…….decorating...... or any kind of repairs etc....... please look for me ......it has been a pleasure

Customer/p>