Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I have new ceramic tile floors and need to know which type…

I have new ceramic tile...
I have new ceramic tile floors and need to know which type of mop and which product/solution will leave floor shining, resistance to smudges from barefeet and stay clean longest. I've used sponge mops, swiffer wetjets and then swiffer liquid, awesome orange, mop n glo, vinegar and water and more. I can't get a clean shiny floor that resists barefoot marks.
1/18/2018
Susan Latta
Susan Latta, General Contractor

Hi, my name is***** Contractor and Kitchen and Bath Designer. Welcome to Just Answer, I will be assisting you with your question.

Hmmm, I'm curious....was the tile shiny when it was first laid down?

Could you send a photograph of your tile?

Thanks for the photographs. I can see the tile is shiny, but I could not see the smudges you speak of but can guess what your talking about.I can tell you the more glossy something is, the more it will show smudges, water spots, stains, dirt and scratches. Glossy tile for a floor tile is considered the least desirable because it is so hard to take care, it requires constant care and effort. It's like a mirror reflecting back to you all the scratches, smudges, and brush strokes from a mop. A glossy tile on a backsplash is much different because people are not walking on it. If it were me, I would lay down runner rugs for people to walk on to eliminate some of the care. But as far as mopping it, you'll need to treat it more like a mirror. All the cleaning products you spoke of have chemicals in them that you would see on a regular floor. So you've got to clean it the olf fashioned way:1. Assemble a bucket of hot soapy water just using someone like Dawn.2. You'll need 3 rags, one to wash the floor with hot soapy water.3. You'll need a bucket of clean water, the second rag will be used to rinse the floor with clean water.4. The third rag is used to dry the floor (might as well use a towel).5. And because I've done this before, I would recommend that you buy knee pads. If you go to an athletic store, go to the women's volleyball section, and find kneepad size that fits you. These will become your best friends when it comes to cleaning your floors by hand. I've tried all different kinds of kneepads and the women's volleyball kneepads work best.

If you have additional questions regarding this subject, please feel free to ask. Thank you for using Just Answer as your handy, go-to informational resource!

Susan

If you feel I have addressed your concerns, please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; this is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating, will not end our conversation, should you have additional questions surrounding this topic. Simply click on “Reply” to write back and I am happy to continue with no additional charges.

Sorry for the typo's.

products you spoke of have chemicals in them that you wouldn't see on a regular floor. So you've got to clean it the olf fashioned way

Assemble a bucket of hot water using something like Dawn. I wouldn't use a lot of the dish soap.

I bought a steam cleaner and wonder if you think that will work. I’m not anxious to get on hands and knees as 1/2 my house is tile. Plus in 67 yrs old. Let me know about the steam cleaner.

I would say the steam cleaner would work, depending on what you put in the water. You may want to walk behind it with a towel under each foot, drying any residue water.

Susan Latta
Susan Latta, General Contractor