Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Is it a good time of the tear to sow grass seeds for a new…

Is it a good time...
Is it a good time of the tear to sow grass seeds for a new lawn?I do not like sod for multiple reasons. I am currently readying my back yard for developing a lawn from scratch. See picture. Next..- need to break the big pieces of soil
- level the ground
- throw grass seeds generously
- water it daily
- add more seeds couple of more times in the next couple of weeksMy questions are1. Is it too early to sow seeds?
2. Will my approach good enough to get a thick even lawn?
3.Any other advice?
1/17/2018
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your

issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

Where do you live?

Hi Rick, Sorry I forgot to provide that info. I live in Sunnyvale, CA 94087

I'd wait at least another month and a half (Early March) to plant the seed. You can do the prep work now. If it's dry you may need to water twice a day. You don't want to let it dry out. Keep it moist not wet. One thing that can help is to toss a thin layer of straw (not hay, too many weed seeds) over the seed. The hay will help retain the moisture and will eventually rot adding organic material to the soil. There's no need to sow seed more than once.

Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Thanks for great input

You're welcome