Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

My lift master security plus garage door opener is 10 years…

My lift master security...

My lift master security plus garage door opener is 10 years old. We are having frigid temperatures in my town in recent weeks. The door seems to have developed a mind of its own. I just came home from the store to find it wide open (I closed it when I left.) but when I closed it, it closed and re-opened immediately - at least 8 consecutive times. HELP!!!

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

It began 2 or 3 weeks ago but it was a rare occurrence that I blamed on weather. Today's repeated opening and closing is a new problem.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I'm a 67 yr old widow with Parkinson's Disease - who needs to know what I should do at this point and what I should expect from a repairperson,

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Probably not.

1/17/2018
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Hi .....the weather is affecting the safety sensors if you can wrap a towel around both but do not block the beam or the LED light on both should be a steady green or Amber non flickering light........which unless you knock them out it causes the problems you are experiencing ........please let me know
Thanks
eddie
Will do. I move slowly so it will be a few minutes
One is steady green and the other steady amber. What exactly am I wrapping with the towel?
Those devices maybe they will work better if they are a little warmed up
Like a small face towel and a few pieces of duct tape to hold .......but if you move them be sure to re-align them to the steady light
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Ah! Got it now! I have thought it was weather related. I will wrap the devices and see how things go. This makes me feel much better, Eddie. Thank you. If the problem gets more complicated I will ask for you again! A+ job!
I couldn't have done it without you.....and by all means if you have a follow-up
A couple of other tips........if the lenses are dusty give them a wipe ......even a cobweb can throw it off and the other if you could keep the remotes warm it may help too
I had that thought while I was out there and I brushed off probably 7yesrs of dusty cobwebs!
Kick out those spiders .....they don't pay rent
Amen to that!��