Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I installed a new remote garage door opener last weekend.

I installed a new...

I installed a new remote garage door opener last weekend. After it was working I found the remote for my car didn't open the garage door. I later found that the car remote had somehow become unconnected to the motor. It is a learning motor so when I pushed the remote button the yellow light blinked. I then pushed the learning button and my car remote opened and closed the garage door. Within a few hours after this, our garage door opened by itself. We did not activate the new opener or the car remote but the garage door opened itself. Can this be fixed?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Since January 13, 2018. It has happened multiple times. I'm away from home on a business trip and my wife is home alone and afraid. Please help.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If it is something simple, yes.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No. I believe it has something to do with the frequency of the signal. Could another resident in my community have a similar opener and their frequency is close enough that it opens my garage door? Please advise.

1/16/2018
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

hi sometimes the cold may affect the transmitters or a power surge but what I would like to try first is.........keep the remote warm if that is the case and erase the transmitters.....do a hard reset and then re program.......please follow these instructions explicitly and in its sequence

ERASE THE TRANSMITTERS:

hold down the LEARN button on the opener for 6 or 7 seconds….If you have a MY-Q device …immediately press and hold the LEARN button again until the learn LED goes out. All codes are now erased.

HARD RESET:

unplug the opener what should be for a good minute......in the meantime remove the batteries from the transmitters including the key less.....and if you have a battery back-up.....there is no battery in the wall transmitter…..plug back in the opener and replace the batteries which should be fresh

Do you know how to re program the transmitters? Hold them with-in 16 inches of the opener when you do

This is starting off with something simple and hopefully it will resolve the issue

I will need information you can provide especially… the make and model….. how old it is? ….in your best recollection… any kind of changes or disruptions that may have caused it not to work properly?

Always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited…..Please let me know how it goes

And thank you for your help and assistance

eddie

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm not at home but away on a business trip. My wife is alone and afraid the garage door will open during the night. She contacted a handyman who should be there within the next hour. I'll walk him through your directions and see if that works.

and if worse comes to worst .......tell her to close the door and use the pull down disconnect........and if there is no lock to use a screwdriver in the garage door track and by the wheel ......maybe even tape it in as not to fall out...........so it will be secure

Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

we can probably fix this for you ............I want to follow up .......it is already less a charge than a service call .............let me know if you want to proceed ..........and Thank you for your positive rating........and the ensuing payment I will receive........ I trust you were able to make an informed decision or better yet your problem was resolved......or will be......if you need anything else home improvement wise....... construction…….decorating...... or any kind of repairs etc....... please look for me ......it has been a pleasure

Customer/p>
Eddie
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor