Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I have a weil mcclann downstairs our pilot light went out…

Customer Question
I have a weil...

I have a weil mcclann downstairs our pilot light went out last night. We tried to turn the pilot light on however the light stays on only when we keep our finger on the red button. once we release the red button the pilot light goes out.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of the appliance? And has it done this before?

It has not done this before. I will get the model number noiw

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I would like to if I"m capable. I "ve been waiting for a plumber but this may be a very small problem, hopefully

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I am getting the model number one moment please

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
Weil McLain gas furnace model 550-223-743/0406
1/14/2018
Home Improvement Expert: Rick, General Contractor replied 7 months ago
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

If the pilot goes out when lighting it one you release the button you have to hold down to light it then you likely have a bad thermocouple (the flame sensor in the pilot flame) . The first thing we would do is replace the thermocouple.

This is northern New Jersey. We just had a 12 day very cold period followed by 3 days near 60 degrees afternoon temps. THis neighborhood had a power outage from 1pm to 3;30pm the third warm day.
WHen the power came back on in our neighborhood, I did not notice, but its possible that is when the furnace was not coming back on. Yesterday I checked , saw the pilot light was out. I

That doesn't change my answer.

This thermo couple component may be able to be purchased at a Home depot? / There is a home depot that is open on Sunday, in a county [not bergen/ ] 8 miles from here.

Yes you should be able to get one at a Home Depot. They are universal, the only difference is the length. You can coil up the excess if it's too long. I'd recommend a Honeywell thermocouple if you have a choice.

Should you decide to replace it a couple point; only the top 1/4 to 1/3 of the tip should be in the pilot flame and the connection at the gas valve should be dry (no pipe dope) and tight.

I cannot purchase a weil mcclain thermo coupler on a Sunday in northern new jersey. We have blue laws. Meaning retail stores are closed

Ok, I guess you'll have to wait for tomorrow. I'd appreciate a favorable rating. This thread won't go away and I'll answer related follow up questions even after you rate me favorably