Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I lost my craftsman garage door remote. Got a new one and i…

Customer Question
I lost my craftsman garage...
I lost my craftsman garage door remote. Got a new one and i tired to resync it first by pressing the button on the back of the garage door opener and then the new remote. it then flashes when i press the button but door does not open and light does not come onSo it appears to be receivning a signal when i press the remote since it blinks on the home unit but does not power the 110V stuff like the light and opener motor.I tried the complete reset also and unplugged it.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
1/13/2018
Home Improvement Expert: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 7 months ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi my name is eddie …….I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved.

1-) the make CRAFTSMAN and model of the opener. How old it is. And do you have the manual?

2-) the make and model of the remote…..key less or universal….or if this is for car built-in what make of the vehicle?

3-) do you know where the opener (ceiling unit) controls are?

4-) The color of the learn button on the opener is?

5-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage. What made it go from working to non-working?

6-) if new when you purchased your transmitter did you check for compatibility?

7-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you.

And thank you for your help and assistance

eddie

Button on the back is red
I do not have manual
Part number 41A5028-38
Remote does not appear to have a number
I know where controls are
I can fix stuff
I purchaded a remote online it would not sync so I found a craftsman from a previous openerIt synced and light blinks when u push button but high voltage stuff does not work

I don't know if you did the reset exactly like this but let's try this first

please follow these instructions explicitly and in its sequence

ERASE THE TRANSMITTERS:

hold down the LEARN button on the opener for 6 or 7 seconds….If you have a MY-Q device …immediately press and hold the LEARN button again until the learn LED goes out. All codes are now erased.

HARD RESET:

unplug the opener what should be for a good minute......in the meantime remove the batteries from the transmitters including the key less.....and if you have a battery back-up.....there is no battery in the wall transmitter…..plug back in the opener and replace the batteries which should be fresh

Do you know how to re program the transmitters? Hold them with-in 16 inches of the opener when you do

This is starting off with something simple and hopefully it will resolve the issue

….in your best recollection… any kind of changes or disruptions that may have caused it not to work properly?

Always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited…..Please let me know how it goes

eddie

I did unplug it but did not wait a full minute. Also did not unplug battery. Will try thatOur car Lexus had it programmed in but we lost the original remote. Last time Lexus was in town my daughters car now it worked. Wife got a new car Nissan but without remote I can not program car. So I. Ought one online but it would not sync. Old craftsman did and when inpush remote button light blinks but door does not open. So I tried the 6 second and unplug approach but maybe not long enoughWill try again and afvise

K ........you need the remote to program the Lexus right ? do you know how on that?.......I believe you need a working remote

thanks

I unplugged both unit and removed battery and re synced Same result. I push button on remote and led light blinks on unit but door does not openSo is this a remote issue or circuit board since it worked from Lexus

do you have two garage door openers?

No the new knock off brand I bought does not sync but I see where you are heading to evaluate by a process of elimination

go over these questions again I need the info.......

1-) How old it is?

6-) when you purchased your transmitter did you check for compatibility?

you have to have a compatible remote otherwise we are just wasting time.....when you purchased it did they tell you if it was?

a Klik3u is a universal remote that will work

1997 on garage openerI do not know on remoteIt said it was comparable but apparently not that is why I used an old craftsman.

If I may ……… before you spend money replacing major parts……..if I can make you aware that you have another option and that is to upgrade your opener ……and consider replacing it………..here is why........ we ran through a few thingsl.....it could very well be that through the years with all the power fluxes and surges it fried the logic board................I hate to be the bearer of bad news but a garage door opener has a life expectancy of 10 -12 years Being that your door opener is well past that…… it is very likely to soon fail and at the most inopportune time…… say inclement weather……thus locking you either out of your garage…………..or even worse yet if you need to get into your garage fast……… due to security issues for yourself or a family member

that was the bad news here’s the good…..

1-) a new opener..… safe….quiet… user friendly and the best part ……self-diagnosing….. openers these days start about $150.00

2-) it is the perfect weekend project where you can save on labor on the install

3-) the tracks the garage door are okay to keep unless you see signs that the rollers are wearing in which case they can be replaced.

Overall consensus is the Chamberlain Liftmaster/Craftsman brand openers are the most reliable on the market today……. they seem to last a bit longer than other brands before they start to malfunction and are easy and inexpensive to repair ………without having to purchase a new opener unit. I recommend these brands to my clients because of their reliability……… a new Chamberlain Liftmaster/Craftsman opener that is properly installed should last 10-12 years before any problems occur…….and that the tracks are maintained....I hope this held some content for you so you can arrive at a discernible solution

Thanks

eddie

I hope you have found my answers insightful, with content to your satisfaction and would consider a 5 star rating…….My goal is to give you the best experience with Just Answer as possible.… by your rating it would be the only way I can be compensated in facilitating your inquiry.........a deposit for a subscription was made by you but no payment will be forthcoming unless I am rated…..positive feedback and bonuses are always welcomed and appreciated......and I thank you

eddie

I trust this held substantial meaning for you ....got you out of your difficulty and would consider a 5 STAR rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you! If you do need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thanks

eddie