Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I have a Genie GR15 lift. The batteries have gone down. I…

Second opinion] I have a...
Second opinion] I have a Genie GR15 lift. The batteries have gone down. I want to change over to a 115 AC current to a 24 volt current DC. How do I determine the wattage needed to run the lift.
1/13/2018
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Here is a link to the product spec sheet. If you select product downloads, then select product specifications 2017 on page 2 it has optional power sources as listed; Therefore I believe 800 watts is required whether it is AC or DC

https://www.genielift.com/en/product/vertical-mast-lifts/gr-15

24V (four 6V 225 Ah batteries) or

800 watt, 24 V inverter (120-230V AC/50-60 Hz)

David, I think that is the information I'm looking for, but I need to ask a little more. I had one tech tell me I would have to change all the electric components to AC in order to do this. I have a schematic from Genie showing an inline inverter downstream from the battery box, converting everything from D to AC in order to operate the machine with household current. Is the inverter all I need to add to do this?

I​ do not know enough about these lifts to give you detailed information, however if you consider that DC current is battery type power which means all components have a positive and a negative that must not be crossed or you will burn or blow something up. When talking DC you also have to think DC and positive/negative. This is important for charging systems, lights, and motors. AC current doesn't care about positive and negative because the cycle changes between the two 60 times per second, so there is no positive or negative. When talking AC you say and think Hot and Neutral to keep everything safe like, charging systems, lights, and motors. For the most part lights don't care which system so long as they have the proper voltage, charging systems and motors possibly care depending on how they are built and wired internally, and therefore I would ask those more knowledgeable than me, so I recommend you contact Genie direct and ask them. What I did find interesting while researching your question was the option of both DC and AC from Genie. That suggests to me the system can be easily converted, but most likely by someone very familiar with these type of systems and the two types of service people that came to my mind were fork lift and rental yard equipment shops. I think I would even consider golf carts since they can be easily adapted between DC and AC.

Greetings… Just following up to see if you were still needing some help answering your question? If this information was helpful you can close out this question simply by completing the rating questionnaire when prompted, however…

If you are still having problems that my response and recommendations were unable to resolve, just let me know and I will continue looking for another possible solution, however I do ask that you please do not complete the rating until I have had a chance to do some further research.

Thanks,

Dave

Hello... As part of our continuous follow up procedures, every open question requires it to be closed out once it has gone past a reasonable time, and that the expert has provided an answer that should have helped resolve your question. This can be done simply by completing the 5 Star Rating once it appears. If you still require assistance or have additional questions, you can let the expert know by replying to this posting that you still need their advice and recommendations.

Thank you,

Dave

Greetings...

I was reviewing my open questions and noticed this one has not been rated yet. If you could take a couple of moments and complete the 5 Star Rating I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Thank you very much for the positive rating, I sincerely ***** ***** If you need further assistance or help with another question, just let me know.

Best,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor