Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

We live in a community that has made it a rule violation to…

Customer Question
We live in a...

We live in a community that has made it a rule violation to side a house or building with Horizontal/Vertical ribbed siding. There is a owner that post framed into the ground with 4x4's on a 16x20 garage and trying to get by calling this a portable building after he was told he must remove the steel he had on. The board has not followed through with making him remove, and a few members have tried to approve this as portable.Am I ignorant or am I correct that no way could the owner claim this is portable. thank you for your answers

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

2 friggen years looking to take the board to the step.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

This was another owner that built not to code and my family is working to get the board to follow their rules and make them remove it

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just need to know id any way a post framed building could ever be classified as portable in most areas

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
1/3/2018
Home Improvement Expert: Dovetail Greene, General Contractor replied 6 months ago
Dovetail Greene
Dovetail Greene, General Contractor

Good afternoon.

My name's Kel.

The definition of portable includes the idea of something being EASILY carried or conveyed.

A mobile home is portable if you remove the skirting, electrical and mechanical connections and hook up to a truck.

A building the size of your neighbor's needs to be solidly anchored to the ground so it won't be blown away.

How easy is it to disconnect?

How easy would it be to put on wheels, move and reset?

Usually the 4x4 posts are set in concrete, so the posts would have to be cut then the building moved then anchored to a new foundation.

That doesn't make it EASY to move.

An RV is in a sense a truly portable building.

I can't imagine anyone calling this garage portable.

Have you spoken with the local building official?

They may have an ordinance which legally defines what a portable building is.

To wrap up, there's no clearly defined term 'portable building' in architecture which you can find in an dictionary.

There's no checklist whereby with enough checks you can conclude it's portable.

Does this make sense?

Have I answered your question?

Kind of the same information that I found online, was hoping for a little harder wording out there as I know this building built the way it was never meant to be portable

To underscore.

Recommend talking with zoning and building officials in your town.

Someone has had to to deal with your situation at least once.