Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I own a navien npe 240a tankless water heater, installed by…

Customer Question
I own a navien...

I own a navien npe 240a tankless water heater, installed by a professional. Had it for over 3 years. Has worked well, even when using multiple fixtures. Just this week it has lost the capacity to even supply the kitchen sink with endless hot water. My wife takes a tub bath and can only let the hot water trickle out if she wants it hot. That takes forever to fill a tub. It is set to recirculate on its own. If you turn the fixture on wide open, it will be hot for a bit and then literally go almost completely cold. If you shut it off and wait a few seconds - I assume long enough to allow the circulation pump to refill the hot water line - it will be hot again but only for a very limited time as at first.

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

Problem has gone on for 3 days. Only denominator that has changed is that we are having a real cold spell where we live, and that is not a usual occurance. Unit tells you what the flow rate is, temp of water going out (it is set a 130 degrees) and temp of water coming back in. That will go down to around 52 degrees when you let it run for any length of time.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, if I can. But don't know that anything is wrong with the heater. there are no fault codes that show up.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I do have a wealth of knowledge in plumbing. Had a plumbing license in Florida for many years. Left that profession years ago. I am wondering if the temp drop has so affected the water temp coming into the heater that it will not heat the water effectively, thus maybe I need to add another heater to this unit.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Home Improvement
1/3/2018
Home Improvement Expert: Jarrett Baker, Building Inspector replied 1 month ago
Jarrett Baker
Jarrett Baker, Building Inspector

Hello, It does'nt sound like you are having a problem with the heater. I agree with you there. I know that it getting colder can have an effect, and have heard of heat settings on instant water heaters being increased to compensate for that. Make sure that the pipes are wrapped. This should answer your question, please rate me five stars. Thank you, Inspector & Building Analyst J Baker

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Your answer does not sound like you are a navien expert, etc. Is that a correct statement?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did you get my response?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello???
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Going to bed and I think I need my money back.... The lead in to this site said I would be connected to navien professional. That did not happen. Please refund.
Jarrett Baker
Jarrett Baker
Jarrett Baker, Building Inspector