Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

My girlfriend's house has three stories the first two or…

My girlfriend's house has three...
My girlfriend's house has three stories the first two or hardwood and tile floors the third where the bedrooms are all carpet there's a cat that lives in the house. Both of us have been having breathing issues like we've never experienced we started the thinking to check for mold but then we realized that it clears up when we go outside or on the first two levels but it's just the third level that makes it so hard to breathe. Besides mold what are the other things to test in houses that would cause this?
1/1/2018
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

M​ost likely the problem is cat urine on fabric or on the carpet and padding under the carpet. If the urine is on the padding (soaked through the carpet) then it will need to be replaced and the flooring under the padding will require treatment. Shampooing the carpet will not resolve the problem because it can't get down to the padding.

David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Greetings… Just following up to see if you were still needing some help answering your question?

Thanks,

Dave

As of this posting I have not been able to locate any additional information on this specific issue, and since I have not received any reply or feedback from the recommendations I mentioned above, I trust they have been helpful in resolving this problem. However, if you are still needing additional assistance, please let me know by using the reply box below, otherwise I will proceed in closing out this question.

Thank you,

Dave