Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

Central heat stopped heating properly. I took out old filter…

Customer Question
Central heat stopped heating...

Central heat stopped heating properly. I took out old filter and unit is starting to heat again. however,i do not have a new filter to put in. will this do any damgage to my unit until I can get a new filter

Contractor's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

It is an American standard gas operated unit

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I have takenthe filter out and do not have a replacement as yet.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No mam,that is about it. can it cause damage before I get a new filter sometime Monday morning

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Home Improvement
1/1/2018
Home Improvement Expert: Machinc, General Contractor replied 1 month ago
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Not a good idea but you have already run it . In an emergency situation it is worth the risk .
More in a moment ...
Get the new filter in as soon as you can . If you can clean the old filter you can use it temporarily .
Running the unit 24 hours or so is not very likely to do any permanent damage however the dust and whatever is being sucked into the system . Use the unit sparingly and get a new filter as soon as you can
Running without a filter can cause the inside of the unit to become dusty just like the filter you removed . Other than that no permanent damage is likely to occur . Do not be tempted to put offf replacing the filter however. Long term use even a few weeks can possibly lead to future problems.
Machinc
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor