Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I'm replacing my door slab interior with new slab the hinges…

I'm replacing my door slab...
I'm replacing my door slab interior with new slab the hinges are in bad shape because they're old so, I wanted to replace them too. But because they're so old that holes don't match up with any new hinges they are very close but they don't match and it is a heavy door I'm putting on.. If I get new hinges and drill new holes for them the new holes will be too close to the old holes which would probably make it weaker. What should I do?
12/31/2017
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Y​ou actually have a few choices depending on what you want to invest, both time and money. You are correct that the holes do not line up between old and new. The choices can be narrowed down to the door itself, if it is already mortised for hinges or if it is a true slab door. If it is a slab door, then you should be able to buy new hinges that will line up with the current holes, or if not then the old hinges can be cleaned up of old paint and oiled and reused, providing they are not damaged. If the door does come with mortised hinges and holes, then the best solution is to replace the door jamb, and then mortise out where the hinges will go. This will give you a fresh piece of wood with exact hinge mounting. if the door is a heavier than normal type, using longer wood screws will help as they will go into the studs as well as the jamb, giving more support. I do not recommend old "handyman" tricks of stuffing toothpicks or plastic anchors into the old holes as that never works.

David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Greetings… Just following up to see if you were still needing some help answering your question?

Thanks,

Dave

I was reviewing my open questions list and noticed this one has not been answered or replied to. Did you still need help with it or should it go back to customer service for proper processing?

Hello...

I am not sure if you have been receiving my follow up messages regarding this question however, if you would be so kind as to please respond and let me know if the information I provided initially was helpful or if you still require some assistance, I would sincerely ***** ***** that way I can either continue helping you or forward this to customer support for further processing.

Thank you very much,

Dave

Hello... As part of our continuous follow up procedures, every open question requires it to be closed out once it has gone past a reasonable time, and that the expert has provided an answer that should have helped resolve your question. This can be done simply by completing the 5 Star Rating once it appears. If you still require assistance or have additional questions, you can let the expert know by replying to this posting that you still need their advice and recommendations.

Thank you,

Dave

Your assistance is needed... A​s of today this question is almost 60 days old and based on the nature of the problem along with the recommendation that were provided, I would like for us to close out this question, however to do that it requires a rating by you as explained below.

Please note that the rating is only based on the experts attempt to resolve the problem. If you feel a credit or refund is applicable, please contact customer service directly as the experts are not authorized to handle these matters.

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

​Thank you very much for your assistance with this, I sincerely ***** *****

Dave

I just received notice that this has been rated and I wanted to say, thank you very much for the positive rating, I sincerely ***** ***** If you need further assistance or help with another question, just let me know.

Best,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor