Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

My Burnham series 2 boiler is 3 years old. It keeps shutting…

Customer Question
My Burnham series 2...

My Burnham series 2 boiler is 3 years old . It keeps shutting off . runs for several days and then shuts off . so far we have had 2 service people come and try to fix it but to no avail . Each time it cost me $ 190.00 . They cleaned the starter switch , put the vent in the open position but it shuts off with the error code 56 appearing . HELP . We have my grandchildren visiting .

Contractor's Assistant: Have you checked for the code in the manual?

Yes , I checked the reference sheet on display on the boiler . No reference to code 56 . They have code 55 and 57 but no 56 .

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I cannot continue to pay service men and not get results but if I have to get a service man I want to know he fixed it .

Contractor's Assistant: JustAnswer requires a modest payment. You'll see the amount on the next page. It's way less expensive than face-to-face would cost. And you're covered by our 100% satisfaction guarantee.

Can't you tell me what error code 56 means ?

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Yes , what does error code 56 mean?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
12/30/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Rick, General Contractor replied 7 months ago
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

A 56 error is a fault with the vent damper, damper wiring harness or control. Here is the test procedure but I don't think it's something you can address.

-Remove the call for heat (adjust thermostat or remove wire from TT terminals.
-Check for 24Vac between P6-5 and ground.
-If voltage not present, attempt to start boiler again.
-If 24Vac is present, unplug the vent damper harness from control.
-With wire harness unplugged, check for 24Vac between P6-5 (on Control) and ground.
-If voltage present, replace the control.
-If voltage not present, failed vent damper or wiring harness.
-Check wiring harness for shorts or mis-wiring. Replace if defective.
-If harness not defective, replace vent damper.

Regarding my Burnham Series 2 boiler We already turn the switch to allow the vent damper to stay open all the time . It worked for about 5 days . today the boiler shut down again with vent completely open .

Given the ongoing nature of your problem I suspect you have a wiring connection or control issue which will have to be tracked down by a trained pro. It sounds like your previous plumbers were guessing. This error doesn't point to the damper not opening

I can't believe that I use up my half hour of time . Please respond by email as I don't do text .

I don't know what half hour you're referring to. There is no time limit on this chat.