Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

How do I light the pilot in my gas log fireplace? The owners…

Customer Question
How do I light...

How do I light the pilot in my gas log fireplace? The owners manual has these model numbers listed: NDV36301

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, what type of fireplace is this?

Heatilator vented gas fireplace heater. Models: ndv3630I, NDV3933I, NDV4236I, NDV4842I, NDV3630IL,, NDV3933IL, NDV4236IL, NDV4842IL

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I want to find information for my husband to try it. If he cannot, we will have to get a technician.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I believe the starter for lighting the pilot needs a battery. Then after the pilot light is burning, you light the logs by switching the wall switch on.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Home Improvement
12/30/2017
Home Improvement Expert: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 1 month ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Here is a video showing how to light the fireplace. if this doesn't help let me know.

http://www.heatilator.com/Owner-Support/Troubleshooting-and-FAQs/Lighting-Your-Pilot.aspx

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Good video, but didn't answer my question. On pg. 14 Owners Manual, there is this instruction: Verify batteries have been removed from battery back-up IPI systems to prevent premature battery failure or leaking. Is there a photograph/video that shows this?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I need to wait until my husband gets home. Will contact you if he wishes to; or may just call a local technician.

Gas fireplaces with intermittent pilot ignition: If it was manufactured recently, it likely has an intermittent pilot ignition system, which requires electricity to spark the pilot flame each time it’s used. Many Heatilator models are outfitted with IntelliFire or IntelliFire Plus, which have battery backup systems for lighting the pilot during a power outage. You just need to make sure to have the right size batteries on hand. Generally, IntelliFire systems require two D cell batteries, and IntelliFire Plus systems require four AA batteries. Consult your owner’s manual to make sure you get the right size batteries, and also for step-by-step instructions.

T​he IPI system uses 2 D sized batteries located in the unit. That unit is usually on top or near the gas valve.

Greetings… Just following up to see if you were still needing some help answering your question?

Thanks,

Dave

I was reviewing my open questions list and noticed this one has not been answered or replied to. Did you still need help with it or should it go back to customer service for proper processing?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I no longer need help. The video was produced by the manufacturer and can be accessed free of charge on their website. After carefully reading owners' manual, it is clear that the fireplace needs to have a certified technician on-site to determine and fix its problem. I do not agree to the additional amount.

Ok you will need to contact customer service for any refunds, thanks for the reply.

Brian
Brian
Brian, Architect