Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Shower floor drain repair

Customer Question
Shower floor drain repair
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
12/30/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Rick, General Contractor replied 3 months ago
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

What is your question?

Hello - I have some water marks on my 1st floor ceiling. There are several drains in that area but it appears to be directly below my shower drain. I will take some pictures to illustrate

Don't need pics of water stain

Fiberglass shower stall?

it is a fiberglass pan but tiled wall

Ok, you're going to have to replace the drain fitting which means cutting a hole in the ceiling in most cases.

not sure if you can see but it doesn't appear to be a drain piece - the PVC runs up to the top of the surface of the pan and then a bunch of silicone and some kind of black plastic ring to keep things in place

You have a drain fitting no matter what you think it looks like

does that drain look compromised? Like I said in that area we have two full bathrooms so lots of possible sources

The silicone caulk is very suspicious. Only way to know for sure is to cut the ceiling open which you'd have to do anyway to fix it

how large of a hole needs to be cut?

Big enough to see into to start. If the ceiling is wet the sheetrock has to go anyway

i know you stated that the i had to have a drain fitting but a couple of notes: I can see where the pvc was cut on the top surface of the pan - and I can feel all of the way down to the trap and it is all one piece....

I've been doing this for 40+ years. I think I know what I'm talking about. There is no way the PVC connects to the shower base without a drain fitting

ok no offense, just wanted to be sure

You need to expose the underside of the stall

the entire stall? or just the area near the fitting?

Near the fitting to start so we can see what we're dealing with

Ok, you have to back off the big lock nut at the underside of the shower base or carefully cut it off. Probably also have to cut the pipe too so you have room to work and to get it out. Once out you should use a drain fitting like this one.

https://www.plumbingsupply.com/showerdrains.html#jackrabbit

You might be able to get one (or similar) at a local plumbing supply house if you don't want to wait for mail order. Rubber gasket goes under the stall with plumbers putty under the flange inside the stall when you put it back.

ok, is there anything i need to do from the upper side on the second floor?
also, any tools or tips to get that big nut loose? it is super tight and no way to get leverage above head

Not if you cut the pipe below. Once the nut is off the whole thing (fitting and pipe) should pull out from above. Assuming the installer used putty like he should have. You may need to use a Dremel to cut it off. Take care to not cut into the base of the stall

No bolts just the lock nut

still unable to get the nut off. but i did notice something, the subfloor itself is not stained at all. and above the trap it seems dry but the trap itself is very wet. any chance it could be the trap that is faulty and not the drain. should also note that when as i was trying to figure out what was going on i cleaned the drain and found a bunch of fairly large pieces of tile in the trap that have been in there for maybe 15 years since the previous owner remodeled that room.

None of the pipe above the trap is wet?!

ok i just dried it out and turned water back on, there is a leak above, just all pooling on the top of the trap, tiny bead coming from the the drain piece.

So you still need to replace what we've been discussing. I've explained in great detail what needs to be done. I'd appreciate a favorable rating. This thread won't go away and I'll answer related follow up questions even after you rate me favorably

ok so i think i need to cut off that nut like you explained. I am not sure what you mean by "Take care to not cut into the base of the stall". is the base of the stall even accessible from the floor below?

Yes, that nut makes up to the underside of the shower floor/base

ok so i am confused, not sure where/what to cut...

You cut into the nut to break it free. Just be careful to not go too deep. Once you cut through it it will turn. If you cut it most of the way you can insert a screwdriver into the cut and twist/pry it to break it the rest of the way

Yes and a bit higher too, into the flat part above the hex.

Yes that's the cut line. Yes once the nut is off the drain fitting, pipe and all will pull out from above

Rick
Rick
Rick, General Contractor