Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I have a Viking professional dishwasher and the door won’t…

Customer Question
I have a Viking...

I have a Viking professional dishwasher and the door won’t completely shut

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Viking is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Fdw301 maybe 2-3 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I have to. No Viking repair people in Roosevelt Utah

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Home Improvement
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The male part of the latch won’t completly go into the female part of the latch.
12/28/2017
Home Improvement Expert: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 1 month ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

I​f the latch parts won't fully engage make sure the door is closing completely and that nothing has fallen down on the bottom which may be preventing the door closing. If nothing is lodged there, make sure the door gasket is completely in place. It usually is not the latch that fails, unless something came loose, if so you will need to remove the dishwasher away from the counter top/cabinets so you have full access to it on top to observe what may be causing the misalignment.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There’s nothing stuck in the bottom of the dishwasher to Prevent the door from closing. The minute the male part of the latch hits the female part it stops. It looks like they align up perfectly. Is there a trigger that locks the latch when the dishwasher is started? It acts like the female part of the latch is locked and won’t allow the male part to enter? Is there a way to unlock that female part?

T​ry the following;

If a manual latch try unlocking/opening the handle,

If an electric latch, try unplugging the machine and see if that releases the solenoid.

You may have a bent or broken lock if its a manual type. You can also try inserting a small bladed screwdriver in the lock and see it you can free it, keep in mind if there is a problem with the lock, get it replaced soon as you don't want to lock it again.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Tried all of those remedies you just gave me already. It’s an electronic lock. I’m fairly certain it’s locked but cannot seem to get it unlocked. There has to be a way to do that.....

please allow me a few minutes to review a few possibilities

It is possible the lock engaged without the door being fully closed and you may be able to get it unlocked by canceling or changing the programming, including letting it go through a complete cycle. Of course the door will need to be closed as much as possible to prevent water leaks. If these methods do not release the latch, then it may be faulty and a service tech will need to determine if it is repairable or requires replacement.

Cancellation of a Function To cancel a program while the dishwasher is running: • Open the door gently. • Press and hold Start/Pause/Cancel button for 3 seconds. The indicator light will start fl ashing. • Close the door. • The dishwasher will drain the water inside the machine for 2 minutes. At the end of the cycle, a beep will sound. You can choose and start a new program.

Program Change To change the program selection while the dishwasher is running: • Open the door gently. • Press Start/Pause/Cancel and select a new program. • Press Start/Pause/Cancel again, to start.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You’re not understanding what I’m saying. The door is locked on the female part so it will not allow me to shut the door, the lock is locked, therefore the door won’t shut. I can’t operate the dishwasher at all.

R​ight I understand that, because the latch is pulled in without being engage to the fixed half of the latch. Regardless the keypad should still allow programming because it thinks it is properly engaged (no other sensors to tell it otherwise), however if you are not able to change the programming, that leads me to believe you have a bad switch that is not making proper electrical contact, this is why I suggested closing the door so the metal halves of the latch are touching to hopefully release the solenoid. If you are not able to do this, then you will need to get a service tech onsite to perform the necessary diagnosis and see if it is something repairable or if the lock requires replacement.

Greetings… Just following up to see if you were still needing some help answering your question?

Thanks,

Dave

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, nothing you advised me to do was anything different than I’d already tried. The dishwasher door still won’t shut. Viking has no repair personnel in my area and it will cost more than a new dishwasher would cost just to get them to make a service call. I would advise people to never buy a Viking appliance!! They cost a ton of money and they are horribly equipped and horribly serviced!!!! Nothing but problems period!!!!

W​ow... that is crazy, but you are not the first person I've heard say they would not recommend a Viking product. If you would like me to try and find a few service providers, just let me know and I will see if I can recommend anyone. In the meantime I will proceed with closing out this question, which will require it to be rated by you. Please note the rating has nothing to do with receiving a refund or credit, if applicable, it merely asks how the expert responded to the question, as explained below, and Happy new year to you and family.

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave

Home Improvement Expert: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 20 days ago

Hello... As part of our continuous follow up procedures,every open question requires it to be closed out once it has gone past areasonable time, and that the expert has provided an answer that should havehelped resolve your question. This can be done simply by completing the 5Star Rating once it appears. If you still require assistance or haveadditional questions, you can let the expert know by replying to this postingthat you still need their advice and recommendations.

Thank you,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor