Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

To whom I am speaking - I currently own 2 42" Zephyr exhaust…

Customer Question
Good day to whom...

Good day to whom I am speaking - I currently own 2 42" Zephyr exhaust hoods that I installed 10 months ago. I intended to purchase one more 48" exhaust fan. However I am having problems with the 2 I have now. One of them the light switch no longer works. The bulbs work fine (tested in the other fan) but the switch is out. The other fan keeps going into error with one blue light continuously flashing. I reset it once but it came back a few months later. How do I fix these problems?

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the appliance? Have you gotten error messages before?

10 months old - both of them. Error message before? The error message is on going.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If that is possible. Is it?

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

? I'm not sure.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Home Improvement
Answered in 2 days by:
12/29/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Jarrett Baker, Building Inspector replied 1 month ago
Jarrett Baker
Jarrett Baker, Building Inspector

Hello, so it sounds like the switch is broken on one of your fans, however the flashing light usually means- clean mesh filters. These are triggered every 30 hours, so that the fan is maintained, is not restricted, and performs properly. Not cleaning regularly can cause early failure of fan. These are the usually guide lines for your exhaust fans.

1.Blower On/Off By pressing the blower is switched on and off. When switched on, the blower starts up on speed level 3.

2. Speed Selection The 6 speed levels are selected by pressing to decrease and to increase speed levels. The display indicates levels selected.

3. Delay Off This feature is used for programmed shut down of the blowers 15 minutes after the function is activated. Press once, a dot flashes in the lower right side of display indicating the function is on. The blowers will shut down after 15 minutes.

4. Lights On/Dim/Off Switch lights on by pressing once, press a second time to dim and again to shut off lights.

5. Display Window The display window indicates speed levels and features such as metal filter clean reminder, delay off and charcoal filter change reminder. Metal Filter Clean Reminder (metal mesh filter) After every 30 hours of use the display will start flashing an reminding you to clean the metal filters from residue and possible clogs.

Thank you for letting me answer your question, please rate me 5 stars. - Inspector J Baker

Jarrett Baker
Jarrett Baker
Jarrett Baker, Building Inspector