Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I have a liftmaster 8500. Was install and working. The

Customer Question
I have a liftmaster...

I have a liftmaster 8500. Was install and working. The garage is very well insulated with a room above it. The garage remains warm. We have sub zero temperatures and when opened the door. has a habit of having the cable come off on one or sometimes both sides. I have noticed some ice form on the seams on inside between panels. Looking for suggestions.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Sub-Zero is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

The 8500 was installed new this summer. The single door is only one year old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes if possible . I have installed openes before with no issues.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Thats seems like everything

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Home Improvement
12/27/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 1 month ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi .......you're using the same door and that is where the ice is forming?..........I have to go offline now so please leave a reply

Thanks

eddie

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
but it is not a lot off ice. I have disengaged and opened door by hand.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Unable to call from here . I do not have phone available.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is a liftmaster 8500 jackshaft wall mount .

did you change to the jackshaft?.........was it a regular chain .......screw or belt opener before?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No it is a new build . Has a jackshft because there is no room for a cieling chain or belt opener. The unit seems to work ok. The canles seem to come off pully to easily . The house is only 1 year old . The opener installed in summer.

The jackshaft opener may not have the initial power-up as a conventional opener would on an ice-up........I will have to explorer this more .......if you can give me a little time I will get back to you today I believe

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The opener is rated for a much larger door. I beleve the ice buildup is from the garage being 15 Celsius and the outside it is -15 celcious causeing condensation to freeze between the panels.

have you tried to push on the panels of the door just to dislodge the ice some before you open it ?........I'm sure the tracks are well lubed too right ?......maybe lubricate in between the panels with WD-40 as a fix later on

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Possibly lube between pnelsbut it might freese as well. The cables usually come off oon the way down after the door has opened. I am wodering if tension has anything to do with it.

I just read about heating up between the panels with a hair dryer .......i think that's crazy ............I think if you were to put a thin coat of Vasilene it just may work........wear gloves so you don't get cut on any sharp metal............it illustrated mostly about having the tracks well lubricated

I don't understand what cables come off ...........and the tension springs.............I think as long as it works in non freezing temps I don't think they need adjustment

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok . Maybe I should try hair blower to get the ice resicdue out then apply vasilene beteen doors . I will definitly give vasilene a try thankyou.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There are cables at each side of the door fastened to bottom of door and pullies at top of door on shafts. I think you may have something there with vasilene.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is it possible the door is traveling to high causing the cable to loose tension when last panel passes the pully . Then when loering that looseness allows the cable to jum off pully.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you there

if you did the install........it is really hard for me to formulate a answer from here............you'll have to go back and see if those pulleys were positioned right on the install

don't open anymore tickets............thats 3 altogether........... it really causes a mess and confusion for both parties involved

I hope you have found my answers insightful, with content to your satisfaction and would consider a 5 star rating…….My goal is to give you the best experience with Just Answer as possible.… by your rating it would be the only way I can be compensated in facilitating your inquiry.........a deposit for a subscription was made by you but no payment will be forthcoming unless I am rated…..positive feedback and bonuses are always welcomed and appreciated......and I thank you

eddie

I trust this held substantial meaning for you ....got you out of your difficulty and would consider a 5 STAR rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you! If you do need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thanks

eddie

Eddie
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor