Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I backed into my door when it was not all the way open and…

Customer Question
I backed into my...

I backed into my door when it was not all the way open and caused it to stop and derail. I pulled the rope and was able to put things back together. It looks straight and traveled down fine but when I use the opener it goes up about a foot, stops and slowly falls to the bottom. what did I do? is it out of time?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

First time

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I'm handy

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/26/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 6 months ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi ..........the door is unbalanced now and hopefully we can get away with a adjustment ............what type of door do you have ?..................wood ?.............metal?

1-) The make and model or number of the devices in question and do you have the manuals for them?

2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner

3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do both have either an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering?

4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many working remotes

5-) any flashing LED lights on the opener (ceiling unit) and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button is?

6-) do you have a chain......belt......or screw drive?

7-) what exactly happens when you do click the transmitter?....... the door doesn't move but you hear the motor?......it goes partial way?........reverses?

8-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited.

And thank you for your help and assistance

eddie